Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arctic Cat announced that after the 2014 model year they will be moving their engine manufacturing to St. Cloud MN. Good for them, but as I understand will this be the end of Suzuki as their supplier? Suzuki's are great engines so wonder what will be in Cats after 2014. anyone heard anything?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Cat wants to gain more control over their products and meet required/performance standards. Suzuki will still supply parts for existing sleds after the year 2014. Ex. If it's the year 2015 and you have a 2011 Cat and you need parts, Suzuki should still be making/stocking them. It's quite a gamble though, for all we know they could start producing inferior engines and all of a sudden everyone will want to buy a different brand...even the ones 'loyal' to Arctic Cat(Myself included). Then again, they could start making far superior engines compared to the other brands. There's only one way to find out......Wait until 2014!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Look what happened to Polaris after they started making their own engines....

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
^^ I was just going to bring that up... Polaris shot themselves in the foot by switching away from Fuji and making their own engines.

Hell, they shot themselves in both feet. It's been almost 15 years, and they still don't have a good big engine.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
^^701+ were a flop but the 600-700 cc engines were A HIT. Cat should do well, if the performance and reliability are there. One can only hope

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Cat has had a good reputation by running Suzuki motors for numerous years now. I would hope they would look at this reputation, and build their own motors based on this. If they run their motors into the ground, they will only have themselves to blame.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I think Cat will do all right with this move.
They are giving their selves plenty of time for development of theses engine's.
Cat is not a total newcomer to engine manufacturing
I believe they have been makking the engine's for their ATV's in house for quite a while already.
The sled engine line will just be an extension of that operation.

Rick

·
Registered
718 Posts
why was the 800 scared of the 700? cause 7 8 9...and the 600 will run away faster than all of them:p nah i lie. seeing how things are now with engines now a days, they will only get leaner. take a look at the etec. super lean, so lean that it's near the burn down limit. expect more liquid cooled cranks, cases. and possibly more 'radical' tech. just have to wait and see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts