Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an actic cat Jag 440 i got just got it las winter but it ran out of gas one day and hasnt started since. [:(] It had poor spark last time I checked then I cahanged the coil and put new plugs in it and its getting good spark now but it still wont run and it keeps shooting LOTS of gas out of only one cylinder (right) but none out of the other and I dont think its the carburator but im not sure on that so if anyone has any suggestions on what it could be and how to fix it mail me at [email protected] or reply on this site thanx [8]

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
It's a cat it should start. Clean out the carbs, and adjust them, check if the gas is good, if not change it, the gas could have water in it, check the compression if that stuf doesn't work, it's possible it could be the rings, but I highly doubt it from what you have said.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the gas is good i will get some heet for it but one thing I havent worked on a snowmobile carb before so i dont know how to take it apart to clean it ive done different kinds of carbs but not one like this so could u help me on that? i dont iknow if it is the rings or not it has good compression so i dont think they are bad but i could be wtong

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
If the compresion is good it wouldn't be the rings, as for the carbs I don't think I have the same one's as you, I've got a 600 ZRT, you should put up a post asking about the carbs, it sounds ;like the high speed screw, somebody probably tried to adjust it for you, check the service manual for instructions, what type of carbs do you have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive got one mikuni carb and that is all i know about it and i dont have a service manuel so that is something else i have been looking for

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
So you have one carb right. To clean it screw the screws in and record how many turns it took, you have to put the screws back to the same place, then start taking it appart, clean everything, check the end on the needle, you will probably have to replace it, you might need to replace the jets. Get the carb cleaning liquid that you let the parts sit in, I didn't think they put Mikuni carbs in the Jags.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah ive got one carb and yes ther eis a mikuni carb in this arctic cat (i dont know if it is stock or if the person i got ift from canged it) and i will do that with the needle and jets thanx for the advice

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Originally posted by ZRT 600
[br]It's a cat it should start.
Hey, could you give the cat stuff a break. Its getting old....

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Inlet needle and seat...possibly debris in there when you ran the tank dry. Check to make sure it seals good. I have a feeling you are getting too much gas. Hold the throttle wide open to see if you can get it to fire.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i also have a jag 440, and it was running a bit rough, the carb rebuild was the ticket, i agree with these guys, rebuild the carb, it should be a mukuni 34mm, and if your at 2000ft allitude you should run a 280 main jet and a 22.5 slow jet, needle at mid clip, and air screw 11/2 turns from seated, this is a starting point"baseline", you will have to set the idle to like 2000 rpm then do fine tuning with the airscrew, you should be able to get a rebuild kit for the carb for like 12 bucks, and buy new jets, clean the inside really good and you should be ok, good luck.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
vetboy, I was just curious, did you really mean 11/2 turns from seated or 1/2 turn from seated. I'm guessing it was a typo, and you ment 1/2 turn.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
on the jags with the single carb it is 1 and a 1/2 turns out im guessing the same as Triumph garbage in the carb mikunis are really easy carbs to work on. 4 screws holding the bowl (bottom of the carb) together once apart at the highest point of the carb when upside down you will see the main jet it should have a number on it. make sure that it is free of ALL debris. now the part on the pin that goes thru 2 eyelets and has the arm looking thing on it with the square looking needle is the needle and seat make sure it seats fully the way i usually test that is to hold it shut and spray carb cleaner thru the gas line inlet be carful it will shoot back out the inlet hole if none leaks you are ok there but make sure it is clean . LOTS of carb cleaner and compressed air is the way to go on this make sure there is NOTHING in the carb that is not supposed to be there. make sure the choke isnt binding or stuck open clean it out real good and check for free movement when using the lever. put the carb back on make sure everything is working properly pull her over a few times to get some gas into the carb then try firing it up. if it doesnt fire try a small squirt of starting fluid in the carb. hope this helps if ya need any other help dont be afraid to ask [:)]

bobby

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey people thanx for your info and opinions i will get a kit and stuff and hopefully it will run thanx again -Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts