Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own both Arctic Cat and Polaris snowmobiles and I would like to know if it is OK to use Polaris oil in the Arctic Cat. Nothing is modified in either machine. They are both completely stock engines.
Thanks

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Actually, the only plus I've ever seen to using synthetic oil is it doesn't cake up on variable exhaust valves. I have never seen any proof that synthetic is better for an engine.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If your worried about warranties, don't be. It's a false saying that "you must use our oil in this machine or else your warranty is void". Not entirely true. Dealers want you to think that, but there is actually a law against that. As long as the alternate oil meets the proper grade or classification, and is not the direct cause of a failure, then most 2-stroke oils are just fine. And if the oil was indeed the direct cause of engine failure, then companies like AMSOIL even have their own warranty on their oil.

My polaris sled says right on the machine "Use Polaris synthetic oil only". Well, i've done some research in the past and determined that it is recommended, but not required. I've been using an alternate that is just as good, if not better than it and will remain so. IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You will have no problem using either brand of oil in your sled. My suggestion is to go away from the 'BRANDS" and use a Castrol or Valvoline injection oil. None of the sled manufacturers make their own oil anyway. I work for Castrol and we manufacture the Ski doo brand oil in Canada......However, I use our Syntec full synthetic oil in my sled...cuts way down on smoke and has better lubricity than dino oil.

·
Registered
425 Posts
So if I want to switch from the Polaris 2 stroke oil to Castrol "Go Snow" what would I do? Drain the system of all Polaris oil or would the 2 mix?

If you can read this I'm parked!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If their of the same performance and grade, I say mix em. I run Amsoil in my sled, but on an all day ride, I started running low. So at the next gas stop, since they didn't have any Amsoil, I just put in the Polaris oil. Haven't had a problem.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was discussing synthetic oil at work with a motorhead co-worker, and he was saying that you can go from regular oil to synthetic no problem, but once you use synthetic you can't go back to regular. Something about the lack of compatability between the two or that the synthetic will create a barrier to the regular oil sticking.

Of course, we were talking about cars, don't know if it makes a difference in two-strokes...

Jacqui.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was looking at the Castrol Petrolium/Synthetic. I haven't read the bottle lable yet but I am thinking you can mix the stock polaris with the castrol. I know other Castrol petrolium/synthetic oils are compatible with conventional oil. guess I could always check their web site too.

If you can read this I'm parked!

·
Registered
127 Posts
As far as the "motor head", Mobil one had a compaability problem with petroleum oils,but ask him about Castrl Syntec Blend.
Rich

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Also, FWIW, the TC-W3 rating of 2 cylcle oils REQUIRES that it is able to mix across brands. Any TC-W3 should mix with any other TC-W3 oil. That is a requirement to get the TC-W3 rating. AFAIK

-Dean

·
Registered
167 Posts
just wanted to add my 2 cents to this subject, now mind you all my oil experiance has come from my dirtbike with variable exaust valves and racing type engines, i like the idea of synthetic oil it is just way cleaner burning but! it has a nasty habbit of when it hits a "cold" header exaust pipe building a nasty ash build-up, which after awhile going unchecked will rob your power, and im not talking about stuff that comes off easy either, oven cleaner wont even touch this hard crusty build-up, my next problem was how to get it out, not a easy job on a compound bend header, then i came up with the idea of running a power drain cleaning machine through the header to swipe the crust off, thankfully it worked!, now i use a dino/ synthetic blend and have had the engine apart for routine mantainance and find things to be in execellent condition, so when i was gonna buy oil for my sled i was sure to run the same in my sled, what is good for my bike engine is sure to be good for the sled also, and one more point to make is that a semi synthetic is less expensive than a full synthetic, you really get the best of both worlds.

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Personally I think that oils, oil. If the lable says 2 stroke synthetic, dump it in.

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
425 Posts
I contacted Castrol about their Go! Snow oil and this is what they said:

"Polaris recommends the use of their oil, or a TC-W3. Other manufacturers
recommend TC low ash. Although our snowmobile products meet the engine protection requirements of machines calling for either specification, they are not registered TC-W3 products. Therefore, it would be best to stick to a certified TC-W3 product so you don't run afoul of warranty considerations.
Our Super Outboard is TC-W3. Of course, as the Polaris formulation is
strictly ashless, we would not recommend mixing it with a low ash product like GO! Snow. "

* Polaris * ......... The Way Out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts