Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the wife and i just got back from a quick 2 hour ride. during that ride my sled a 1996 zrt 600 started to have throttle blips,when i give it gas it acts like the key is being shut off and on,kinda more like a miss if anything.it does it through the entire throttle range,it idles fine and never stalled it just cuts in and out,ps it doesnt do it all the time.its obviously electrical,has anyone ever ran into this problem?[:p]

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Was there any snow in the cab, and what was the weather, temp, snow, rain etc, and how much snow is there on the ground.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 96 Couger since new.It did the same thing right from new. It has some sort of magnet safety swithes which turn off the ignition if the carbs should freeze. They were so fussy to set properly, that I just unplugged them the first week and I'm still riding this sled this way today with never a problem again from those crazy swithces. Check if you have the same on your carbs. Just unplug them.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I think you are right, that's why I asked him how much snow there was. But I think it could also be a clutching problem. (But most likely it is the carbs)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they do have some wires going to the carbs,you say unplug them,where do you unplug them? and thanks for the quick reply

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I think we need to bipass them in the 1996 ZRT's, I have the same sled as you, check you owners manual it tells you there, if you don't have one tell me and I'll send you the info, I still have mine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just dug out the operators manual and it says i need to use an emergency by pass plug for a misadjusted magnetic carburetor switch,what the hell is that?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I should be in the back of you sled, in the tool bag, or it fell out and it's in the back, it's a wire about 6 Inches long, it has an end a bit like the wire that connects onto the trailer for the lights. (don't quote me on the 6 inches part)

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
my zrt did the same thing this year, I had old gas in it, and didn't drain the carbs for the summer. I just ran out all of the old gas to empty, filled her with 93 oct and put in some dry gas, Finally towards the end of that tank, she started to run better and better, now, no problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You don,t have to use a bypass or anything fancy, just unplug the wires that go to the carbs and tie it out the way someplace, then I just plugged the wires that come out of the carbs together so they wouldn't dangle.Works perfect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One more thing, when you unplug the wire that goes to the carbs, you have to bare the ends of the wire and tie them together to make a complete circiut, that is what the bypass is supposed to do I guess.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i bypassed the plug in the handlebars and the sled runs great again,but the kill switch on the handlebars doesnt work now.has anyone ever adjusted those magnets on the carb and how much of a pain is it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your carb safety switches are probably out of adjustment because your throttle cable has stretched over time. A service manual will give you detailed instructions on adjusting your throttle cable, syncing+adjusting your carbs, and syncing your oil injection pump (very important). For optimal performance, I would make sure the above is OK prior to adjusting the safety switches. Do you know how to use an ohmeter?? Let me know and I can give you an easy procedure to adjust the switches if you don't want to get a service manual. I would not recommend bypassing the switches for your safety.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts