Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I just got myself a new sled this year, but I need to get a third sled for my wife to ride, and for me to ride when she steals my new sled.
I am looking at a 1999 Polaris XC700SP with 7100 miles. The sled looks to be in excellent shape with a new track, cover, and 2 windshields for $3100cdn(2450us).
Were these good sleds, and did they have any problems? I know 7100mi is getting up there, as long as cyls aren't chewed I should be ok to run this season.Will this sled be competitive with 2001+ XC700's that my wife and I ride with. Neither of us beleive losing is an option.
Sorry I sound like such a newbie, but I'm amazed at how much being out of sledding for 5 years can put you behind.
Thanks for ant input.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The sled should keep up with the 01 700's but it wont have the same suspension. The price isnt too bad, so as long as the cylinders pass a compression test and the rest of the sled looks taken care of i would say it's a good buy.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Great power,greating sounding sled,good ride,and with some carb changes ,good milage. with a little clucthing your ready to rock, just had my bottom end apart 6000mi everything is good as new

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
ive ridden with guys with those sleds, very reliable, fast sleds, as for engine i dont know what to look for because all ive seen is good, anyway, i think its a good buy

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I dont think you will be able to run with the new 700's in the midrange, you should be ok on top end, but I dont think the 99's had V.E.S. and the newer ones do. Also i believe the '99 used keihn (spelling?) carbs and the newer ones used flat slide mikuni's but other than that I would say they will be very close performance wise. My uncle has the 99 xc 700 with the white hood. Seems to be a VERY strong runner.

·
Registered
749 Posts
i have a friend who has a 99 600 and it works very nice, so i'm assuming yours will work even nicer. However, i'm only 17 but i've done a lot of snowmobiling(about 2200 miles per season fo last 5 years) and i have seen a 99 xc7 race a 01 and there not very close. the new motor with valves is awesome form mid to top, they seem to be a far amount stronger than the non-valved motor.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Oh and there is not a lot of difference in the hp, (9 or so) but the edge body hooks up so much better.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I heard that the most intense race between XC 700s is the one to the gas station. Especially the 98. But if you have to worry about that then dont be a snowmobiler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts