Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
i like my slp because it is a little louder than stock and it gives it a nice distinct sound and i also noticed it scares the deer away i bit easier. but was it worth the 250.00 that i spent on it? no probbably not. but would i do it again? possibly yes

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
Depends on the situation. They claim a can will give you more power...in reality it probably won't. If you need to lose some weight, a can can be beneficial, as they are substancially lighter than stock (usually). I think they are overpriced new. I got a SLP can for my 700 this past summer for $50 or so off ebay. I finally got to ride with it in the last couple weeks only to find out the sled won't run right with it. I was quite glad I didn't pay the full $250 for it!

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
I like mine. Noise isnt an issue around here. I think it sounds great and its a huge weight saving part. Main reason I picked what I did was because it was considerably cheaper than the alternatives. Im sure they all sound pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
They are lighter,clean up the look in your engine bay,some add slight power and they sound better then stock. I personally hate the sound of these new stock sleds,I like to hear my engine working. Overly loud is just annoyinbg though.

·
Registered
845 Posts
RMK-KING said:
They are lighter,clean up the look in your engine bay,some add slight power and they sound better then stock. I personally hate the sound of these new stock sleds,I like to hear my engine working. Overly loud is just annoyinbg though.
yea, i could actually take my recoil off today without removing the pipe and can.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think there worth the money i love my rumblepack can. I like how my friends can here me coming now and it looks a lot cleaner with a shiney chrome can than a big rusted out stock one

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Since i mostly ride trails, i could care less about a can. I have never had one nor will i probably ever buy one. I dont mind the sound of a stock can. If i rode in the middle of nowhere or where noise was a non-issue, then maybe i would consider it, but with landowners complaining constantly and threatening to withdraw their lease of their land to use as part of the trail system, i will be more than happy to stick with whats stock. Do i care about weight? No, i'm not a mountain rider looking to save every last pound. Will it gain me any horsepower or win a drag race because of it? No. Seems simple enough to me...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Not worth the money. You gain almost no performance. All they do is reduce weight and make more noise. If you want a loud sled, go for it, but all loud sleds do is lose trails.
If you want more performance, theres better investments out there than a can.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
^^^^Thats kind of a broad statement dont ya think? Areas where people ride on private land and trails that go through private property means cans arent a good idea. But not everyone rides those types of areas. Only reason trails get closed here is when new houses and roads get built over them.

And saying all they do is reduce weight and make more noise is exactly right. Thats the whole point. My can saved me close to 10lbs. It would cost way more than $250 to save that much weight anywhere else.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quinlan said:
Depends on the situation. They claim a can will give you more power...in reality it probably won't. If you need to lose some weight, a can can be beneficial, as they are substancially lighter than stock (usually). I think they are overpriced new. I got a SLP can for my 700 this past summer for $50 or so off ebay. I finally got to ride with it in the last couple weeks only to find out the sled won't run right with it. I was quite glad I didn't pay the full $250 for it!
I also got my slp can off ebay for like a 100 bucks but had no problems with engine running wrong. I absolutly love it! It gives the sled a much nicer sound without going overboard. It seems like i have a little more power but i also cleaned the powervalves so could be a combination of both or not.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
pipe it. it'll sound sweet, make more power, clean up the motor, and just be sweeter all the way around. Plus they cost twice as much but come with a can.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
I love my slp can on my pro-x it is not much louder than stock and has a little bit of a deeper tone. I paid $125.00 for a pretty much brand new one. The previous owner used it once and wanted a louder can so he sold it. It may gain snappiness but I don't know. I mostly wanted the weight loss, the sound was not overly loud either.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
MJay said:
^^^^Thats kind of a broad statement dont ya think? Areas where people ride on private land and trails that go through private property means cans arent a good idea. But not everyone rides those types of areas. Only reason trails get closed here is when new houses and roads get built over them.
It does depend where you ride, but loud cans also cause a lot of problems for snowmobiles with the non-snowmobilers.
If you have a bunch of sleds with loud cans annoying people who are nearby, the creates a bad imagine of us with non-snowmobilers.
I could see how a can would be OK if you ride in the backcountry where there is no one around for miles, but not everyone rides in the backcountry and you have a lot of people who think its cool to trailride with their tall handlebars, handguards, motocross helmets and loud cans; pretending they are snocross racers and in general annoying by constantly blipping the throttle because they think its cool. Those are the people who are a problem and those are the people whom I was referring to.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
You tell us.. what kind of riding are you doing?

Trail riding = NO
Deep snow riding where ever pound matters = Yeah

1 - 20 of 29 Posts