Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Are MN winters really off from years ago?

947 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  madcow 
#1 ·
Looking at the past history of MN (Twin Cities to be exact), we have not always had the big snow that everyone thinks. From the late 60's through the late 80's there was a significant increase, and what most of us remember from those times growing up. But.....looking back at past history if the Twin Cities snow falls shows an entirly different past than what many may suspect.

So....realistically are the winter really that far off looking back 100 years?

Damn we need some snow! [}:)]

[attachment=53010]

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There were a few times back in the 80's and 90's where we actually had TOO MUCH snow to do anything but dig ourselves out!! There used to be a time when the weatherman would say "storm" or "blizzard" and we all started planning a big weekend ride, now when they say "storm" we're lucky if we get 2 inches out it!! [V]

#4 ·
well we got some snow today[:D] and more on the way tommorow. i believe we are in a cycle because we used to have winters like this and then we had good ones and back to bad and so on. plus i have yet to see to much snow in my life. i am still waiting for my first blizzard.

#5 ·
Thats what Ive been telling people who are talking about selling their sleds. Winters go in cycles.
One nice thing about winters like this is that it seperates the diehards from the wannabes.

#6 ·
Originally posted by Octane
[br]Thats what Ive been telling people who are talking about selling their sleds. Winters go in cycles.
One nice thing about winters like this is that it seperates the diehards from the wannabes.
exactly, i would consider myself a diehard. that is all that i can think about right now.

#8 ·
Well, the mid 90's had unbelievable snows (and record setting floods.) I also grew up in the 60's and 70's and fondly recall tons of snow every year....Of course, when you are a kid, everything seems bigger (I thought our little town of 2000 was a major metropolitan area.) We really haven't lacked snow in our area for many years. This year has been the unfortunate exception so far.

Minnesoootan (thinking of firing up the riding lawn mower....)

#9 ·
I think the biggest thing is that i remember having snow start to stick the end of november but here we are near the end of december and there is maybe an inch outside - this is about 40 miles south of Duluth - and we always spent the winter break snowmobiling. now this year we will have to wait and see. what really ticks me off is my co-workers down in the Cities who are saying it is a wonderful winter without the snow and cold. fools don't realize that without the snow a LOT of businesses up here will have a hard time of it and that we need snow for things to grow in the spring and we need the cold to help kill off some of the pests and insects. makes me want to ring the necks of the lot of them.

#11 ·
yah, as a kid in the 80's we had the perfect abundance of snow. drifts to the eves of the shops. for the last 10 years we havent had the snow fall. and then when we do get any amount of snow instead of being followed by cold it is followed by hot air and melts it. I remember one winter I almost drove down to the cities to kill a weather man. he said we have had lots of snow fall so noone needs to complain. but the idiot didnt realize is yes we had over 2 feet fall. but it also melted after each snow so you basically still had dirt trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.