Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm trying to diagnose what this could be, and have no idea. It's been happening for roughly 150 miles now, which was right after my first race. Now, what it's doing. If I open my sled up for more than a second, and let off ( Doesnt seem to happen under 15-20mph either ), I hear a cracking type noise. It's almost like my skis are hitting rocks. But, I know they aren't because I've heard it while riding on snow, that was a solid foot base, with a couple inches of soft snow on top with no chance of rocks. So, what is this noise. I also sometimes hear it after I speed up, then tap my brakes. Im thinking that its either my clutch, or my brakes. What do you guys think. I'll get a video up soon showing the noise.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Is it possible the chain is too loose, and
slopping around on decelleration?

Should be easier to diagnose with sled up on a stand.
Then you can move around and listen for it.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cat-sass said:
Is it possible the chain is too loose, and
slopping around on decelleration?

Should be easier to diagnose with sled up on a stand.
Then you can move around and listen for it.
That actually sounds HIGHLY likely, because its definitely somewhere in the drive system. I planned on adding a slipper gear and gearing it down if it didn't sell this week.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Not hitting more chunks of ice again are you?

My sled was doing something similar it i traced the problem back to the primary weights.

Ive also had ice build up in the tunnel come through and make a god awful sound, like the sled just ate a chain.

Get the thing up on a stand and diagnose will be the easiest way, thats what i did.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
srx_600 said:
Not hitting more chunks of ice are you?

My sled was doing something similar it i traced the problem back to the primary weights.

Ive also had ice build up in the tunnel come through and make a god awful sound, like the sled just ate a chain.

Get the thing up on a stand and diagnose will be the easiest way, thats what i did.
Already checked for ice blockage. Sled was left in a heated garage for 4 days as well, so couldnt be ice that fast.

Im thinking its either the weights in the clutch, or the chain. The chain seems most likely just from landing, and pinning it on the landing. No good for any of the chaincase.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
sledcrusher said:
srx_600 said:
[highlight=red]Not hitting more chunks of ice are you?[/highlight=red]

Already checked for ice blockage. Sled was left in a heated garage for 4 days as well, so couldnt be ice that fast.

Im thinking its either the weights in the clutch, or the chain. The chain seems most likely just from landing, and pinning it on the landing. No good for any of the chaincase.
you didnt get it. he was referring to your fusion front suspension rip off "issue".

i would bet your chain is loose, and is hitting on the bottom of the case. dont drive it until that is fixed, otherwise you will prolly shell a chain case

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
^^^^^And his old MXZ when he was EFP had ice build up issues.

Chain case is probably where your issue is, clutch weights could be the problem, but more likely the chain.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
driftpounder said:
Talk about a good memory you have there! I just remembered that. That noise was a cross between a blown out shock, as well as ice buildup. That was back on December 31, 2007.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
driftpounder said:

Chain case is probably where your issue is, clutch weights could be the problem, but more likely the chain.
Not to many people around anymore to remember those days![beer]

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
sledcrusher said:
driftpounder said:
Talk about a good memory you have there! I just remembered that. That noise was a cross between a blown out shock, as well as ice buildup. That was back on December 31, 2007.
Haven't a clue the date just remembered all the topics about it and then once you did finally get the issue fixed.

mackinsaw said:
driftpounder said:

Not to many people around anymore to remember those days![beer]
No there aren't to many form those days.[;)]

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Current diagnosis:

Brake disc is shot.
Brake pads are shot.
Chain is worn.
Bottom gear is worn.

Haven't gotten a chance to check out the clutch yet.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
driftpounder said:
^^^^^And his old MXZ when [highlight=yellow]he was EFP [/highlight=yellow]had ice build up issues.

I thought he was BRP-4Life, had the MXZ, then the Fusion 900, then a ZR 800, then the Cat SnoPro 440, now the Rev 600. He has came a long way, became more mature.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kingofkings said:
driftpounder said:
^^^^^And his old MXZ when [highlight=yellow]he was EFP [/highlight=yellow]had ice build up issues.

I thought he was BRP-4Life, had the MXZ, then the Fusion 900, then a ZR 800, then the Cat SnoPro 440, now the Rev 600. He has came a long way, became more mature.
I was EFP ( Extreme Films Productions ). Then after my MXZ 500, I became BRP-4-LIFE. I then had an MXZ 600, MXZ 700, Rev 440, ZR 800, Fusion 900, SnoPro 440, SnoPro 440/700, MXZ 800, and since November, I've had my Rev 600 which has been my best sled so far, and has succeeded at doing everything I've wanted it to do.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
sledcrusher said:
Current diagnosis:

Brake disc is shot.
Brake pads are shot.
Chain is worn.
Bottom gear is worn.

Haven't gotten a chance to check out the clutch yet.
Well might as well look there too.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
sledcrusher said:
kingofkings said:
driftpounder said:

I was EFP ( Extreme Films Productions ). Then after my MXZ 500, I became BRP-4-LIFE. I then had an MXZ 600, MXZ 700, Rev 440, ZR 800, Fusion 900, SnoPro 440, SnoPro 440/700, MXZ 800, and since November, I've had my Rev 600 which has been my best sled so far, and has succeeded at doing everything I've wanted it to do.
Weren't you also seancrazy1 that raced your dads 125MPH exciter too? Not trying to get off topic or anything but just for old times sake!

·
Registered
450 Posts
who keeps giving him -1? Nothing wrong with what he said.

Anyway, it sounds like its most likely the chhain since its happening mainly on deceleration. I would probably drain the chaincase and inspect it since you said its been happening for 150 miles. Probably could get any bits and pieces that may be in there out.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
zecow224 said:
so your rev has been your favorite? how did the fusion handle for jumps and off trail?
theyre like jumping a tank. theyre too heavy to manuver in the air

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
^^^^Suspension wise they are good for jumping, but like dragon said they are tanks to move in the air so don't think your going to be joe snocrosser and do flips and whips.

Off trail the engine produces lots of torque and it's hard to keep it form spinning the stock track. Paddle track improves it's off trail ability instead of the stock ripsaw, but still a far cry from lighter sleds. You don't want to be stuck cuz you might be there until a tractor can scoop you out.

I extended mine out to a 136/15/1.5 and it works alot better in the deep snow, but will be going to a paddle track next season because I ride mostly off trail.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts