Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well over the past couple years there have been some good and bad winters. could anyone elaborate on how they know its going to be a good winter. now i dont want people saying because i know it will, i want good solid answerers

thanks

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Here in central Alaska the winter already sucks.

In this part of the state we *usually* get snow in late September and through October. After that it is usually too cold to snow (believe it or not). We only got 4" of snow in the beginning of October and none since. Tonight it is -24F out and is suppose to be down to -30 all week.

We won't see any more snow until possibly March when it warms up so it can snow.

Interesting place Alaska is.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Winters seem to keep getting worse every year here in upper michigan. First moved up here about 10 years ago, and there was enough snow to snowmobile on trails weekend after thanksgiving, even though they dont offically open till dec 1st. Last year, we couldnt snowmobile till about mid januarary. Everytime it snowed, tempatures hit mid 40's and rain all the time melting everything. Was so VERY annoying. If it does it again this year, im gonna cry.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
I have about 3" of water in my driveway right now. Temps are supposed to be 10C this week. We normally have snow by now. Like Alaska it usually gets too cold to snow here for the month of January so hopefully we have some good snowfalls next month.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Head to Wyoming/Colorado if you want snow. Talked to a customer last night and he said the Snowy Range has had nearly 4' in the last 2 days and they've been riding for a while out there before that.
I think were SOL here in the midwest again and with the ocean getting warmer each year I don't know that it will ever change.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It's been raining and drizzling almost every day the last few weeks here. Very wet - if this keeps up we'll have a decent snowfall this year in Chicago. We usually see nothing until a huge storm hits, everyone does 5mph and it takes me 3 hours to drive 10 miles. Then it melts in 2 days. Heck I'm not asking for much around here by me - just enough so I can do some shake-down runs and get my sleds dialed in. I need to have everything right for the trips I plan on taking. But I have a good feeling this time around.

Bryan

·
Registered
667 Posts
there is absolutley no way to predict weather. Last year seemed really promising since it snowed a lot in week in december. After that, It was upper 40's for the rest of the year. I don't hold hopes for snow in NY. I plan on moving to michigan or minnesota...

·
Registered
359 Posts
There is an el nino that is shaping up for this winter. What that usually means is the northern US and Southern Canada sees temperatures that are above normal for the November - March months. The El Nino makes the Jetstream flow more west to east (zonal) which keeps the cold air locked up in northern Canada. I hope I'm wrong but thats what it's looking like as of now :-(

·
Registered
64 Posts
we can tell during deer season, if the deer has alot i mean alot of fatt like they do this year then this year will be really cold but i dont know about the snow?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
What about old wise tales? lol Seriously, we've all heard old farmers tell you silly stuff to watch for that is actually true. Example: leaves turn upside down when it's going to rain. True
I had an old farmer tell me 3 years ago to watch the pine trees. He claimed that since pine trees don't drop all their needles, they still drop enough to accomodate the upcoming snowfall. If they keep too many needles throughout the winter the weight of both the needles and the snow will break branches, pine trees way of preventing this. I've payed attention ever since to the pine trees in my yard and it's proven to be pretty true. I haven't been watching them long enough though to learn what means a very snowy winter lol. But it seems to be true, and according to my pine trees this year..... about the same as last.[V]

·
Registered
963 Posts
Originally posted by catmandu170
[br]There is an el nino that is shaping up for this winter. What that usually means is the northern US and Southern Canada sees temperatures that are above normal for the November - March months. The El Nino makes the Jetstream flow more west to east (zonal) which keeps the cold air locked up in northern Canada. I hope I'm wrong but thats what it's looking like as of now :-(
to bad that you left out the most important part. el nino means warmer temps and more snow.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Well Boy's...I've given up hope up here in the Nations Capital of Canada(Ottawa). Last year was enough for me...1000 miles on the sled...that was it! Traded it in on a Lawn tractor...used it more then did the sled in 2 years??? So unless I see some snow #$%& it! I'll be sittin in the garage this winter doing this,,,,[BeerPull]

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Originally posted by joniggy
[br]there is absolutley no way to predict weather. Last year seemed really promising since it snowed a lot in week in december. After that, It was upper 40's for the rest of the year. I don't hold hopes for snow in NY. I plan on moving to michigan or minnesota...
If you plan on moving out here make sure you aim for the North Shore!! The rest of the state (snowfall) has been pretty depressing for quit some time [V]

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Around here some of the ol wives tales are- the size of the muskrat houses (bigger houses=bad winters) the size of the flocks of migrating birds like ducks, geese (bigger flocks=bad winters) I've heard that one about the pine trees, I've also heard something that had to do with the pine cones but I can't remember what that one was...

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i think it shoudl be a normla or more snwo this year considering i rode sled acoupel days ago when usually i have to wait tell at least december

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I have less faith now then I had 2-3 weeks ago due to the similar pattern that we have had for rainy/warm/strange steaming air, etc just like last year in November and look at what happened for rest of winter, so I guess I will be trailering 4 to 5 hours away from local to ride!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Winter is here....A couple of ski resorts opened up this morning and 3 backcountry skiers already got caught in an avalanche...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.