Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard from alot of people that the triple is a bad motor.They say the cylinders dont heat up evenly and they foul plugs all the time especially riding around the house when you cant open them up.my friend has a 600 triple on a 95 formula 3 and even trail riding it eats plugs.

·
Registered
985 Posts
yes, but they do have more moving parts
so they are more expensive to rebuild, and bigger chance for failure.
but reliable yes, many many XLT's with lots o miles out there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wouldnt mind getting a polaris 800 storm i know it has a triple. i just dont want to have to rail it the whole time i ride it to keep the plugs from fouling

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my friends 600 triple only fouls 1 plug,the same one everytime.what do you think could cause it??he has a 94 polaris indy,and he thinks that will foul plugs around his house.He talks like triples foul plugs and have problems,but he tries not to make it obvious.he kinda wants me to buy it,the 95 formula 3 600 is his baby and he wont admit if it has some kind of engine problem.I think it has a bad cylinder.I dont think he knows that much.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Originally posted by bulldog_shotgun
[br]
but reliable yes, many many XLT's with lots o miles out there.
Yes, about lots o miles. Since there are 3 cylinders vs. two, there is less wear on the cylinders.

A 3 cylinder geo metro is going to have more wear on its cylinder walls at 100,000 miles then an 8 cylinder chevy with 100,000 miles. The 8 cylinder had to work less per HP.. am I stating that right? haha I think you know what I am trying to say.

I have a triple and a twin.. both are very dependable for me.

had to put this in here before this thread gets locked..

search for twin vs. triple and there are some post about dependablity (not just power)

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
The mid/late 90s skidoo triple/triple motors didnt seem to be the best, I have seen alot with crank problems in both the 600 and 800 rotax's.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, about lots o miles. Since there are 3 cylinders vs. two, there is less wear on the cylinders.
I am not so sure about that.

1 revolution = once up and down for a piston. The triples and twins run at the same rpms so there are just as many strokes.

A 3 cylinder geo metro is going to have more wear on its cylinder walls at 100,000 miles then an 8 cylinder chevy with 100,000 miles. The 8 cylinder had to work less per HP
What about 4 cylinder honda and toyota engines?

I'm not sure about rotax, but I am the third owner of my Ultra(7500mi) and my wife's XLT (6900 mi). Neither engine has ever been opened, they both run strong and neither one fouls plugs.

Trev

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Good engines, lots of power.

But honestly the storm wasn't all its cracked up to be. If you're looking for a mid 90's triple an ultra would be your best bet. With triple pipes they will go like hell.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
it depends.......some are great..some are ****
like the polaris pre 97 600 triples took out crank bearing like crazy
and the skidoo 700 triple had heating issues
some are great but I dont like the power to weight issue

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Originally posted by BskidooC
[br] the power to weight issue
98 polaris XC 700 = 484 lbs stock

98 polaris ultra = 509 lbs stock with pipes its easily down to 485 lbs and easily 150 hp.

xc 700= 484 / 120 = 4.0333333 lbs per hp

ultra (with pipes) = 485 / 150 = 3.23333333 lbs per hp

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have 700 rotax triple 98 dino a 156 horses with some cranck shop parts my son rides it now unkillable i still love it
Originally posted by SkidooJoe
[br]Ive heard from alot of people that the triple is a bad motor.They say the cylinders dont heat up evenly and they foul plugs all the time especially riding around the house when you cant open them up.my friend has a 600 triple on a 95 formula 3 and even trail riding it eats plugs.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
triple is a great motor,and most of my sleds have had the same plugs in them for years ,if your'e fouling plugs have a problem

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a 1996 ski doo formula 3 600 the best sled i ever owned. It can idel for ever and not foul a plug. And it is a liquid. Have not had any problems and triple sleds rock the only sleds i will ever own

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by Pance
[br]
[br] the power to weight issue
98 polaris XC 700 = 484 lbs stock

98 polaris ultra = 509 lbs stock with pipes its easily down to 485 lbs and easily 150 hp.

xc 700= 484 / 120 = 4.0333333 lbs per hp

ultra (with pipes) = 485 / 150 = 3.23333333 lbs per hp
Now add twins to the xc 700 and see what the weight and hp is.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
[br]it depends.......some are great..some are ****
like the polaris pre 97 600 triples took out crank bearing like crazy
and the skidoo 700 triple had heating issues
some are great but I dont like the power to weight issue
This has been stated many times. The magazines over stated the piss poor crank. I never smoked a crank bearing on a triple of the mid 90's and older.

At one time there were 15 of them in my neighborhood. Never 1 minute of down time between all of them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts