Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am all excited.
Got the Rear Skid of my '04 XcSp all re-assembled (everything all cleaned polished and greased).
Got it back in the track...surprisingly it only took 10 minutes (Sled Not tipped on it's side).
Feeling good...everything is going smooth.
Get the back bolts in 1/2 way...fuss around with the front for a bit... get them in 1/2 way, everything looks good.......
Start to wrench the front bolts...going..going...the right one stops[:0]!
The Left front tightens all the way but the Right one is going nowhere...I loosen and retry a couple times.. No Go[:(] I give it one more try, give it a little muscle, and nothing.
I am thinkin' "Crap[:(], Cross-thread?" I go to take out the bolts and I notice the Left front was tightend so much it spread open the lock washer!!!!! [V] I didn't have a chance to investigate...I was bummed... I hope I didn't *uck up my Front Shaft[B)]
All the holes were aligned nicely..hand started them..it was all peachy.... Grrrrrr.....

Then to make my day better... It dawned on me why my suspension was so soft. (Previously I tried to set my sag in...it was way to low. So I bought a set of firm Torsion springs from my dealer, $200Cdn)
The springs that were in there were the optional soft springs[xx(] (I assumed they were the stock ones)
I was sitting on my sled and the back end was so stiff it was going nowhere...The Firm springs are rock solid...
So I am *Ucked... No returns on special order parts... All I had to do was check the part# of the spring in the sled and know that they were soft... and I could have ordered the right part (Stock Spring).
Now I have to find another set of springs...take my rear skid out again...check out the front shaft...replace the springs (again)...

I drilled my track today as well... I had plans to do my studs tomorrow...
What a waste of a weekend......................[:(][:(][:(]

Won't get anything done until next weekend......

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
damn, sorry to hear it man. at least you're able to deal with it now instead of the middle of winter. too bad those springs cost soo much. that's a lot! pretty sure you can order them from purepolaris.com for about $70(US) a set.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phew...
Pulled this one out. Picked up a 3/8 -16 unc Tap, Right front Shaft was buggered up...fixed that:). I also went through the other 3 bolt locations and cleaned up the threads.
I recommend to everyone that removes their rear suspension , that it would be a good practice to ensure their bolts and threads are clean and sharp before re-installation.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Sounds like you had about as much fun as I did trying to get the lower trailing arm bolts out of my XCR. I gave up.

No disrespect intended but thanks for the laugh. I feel for ya.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I think you got screwed on them springs. there under $100 a set here for ever sled iv put them on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.