Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on an old actic cat panther with the spirit motor. It seems to be flooding out but yet will only start with the choke on. When I do get it started it will rev really high and then wind down and die like it is running out of gas, but yet it has gas and oil pouring out of the exhaust. It is the Mikuni butterfly carb. I have had the carb apart and it is clean. Any one have any ideas? Please!

·
Registered
36 Posts
It Could Be Sticking (Ur Carb) Also Try Putting New Gas With The Right Ratio Of Oil To Gas In It!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Are you sure it's gas and oil and not just oil? FYI you don't need to use the old oil ratios of say, 20:1 and 32:1 that they called for back then. Today's TC-W3 oil has far superior lubricating qualities than those made back then.

On another note you may have an air leak. Pulling the choke enrichens it enough to run (albeit poorly), and the first spray of fuel dumps out the exhaust. Then as it evens out the mixture it runs better, then starts to lean out and die. After one of these "pull choke, start, runs, dies" routines don't touch anything afterward. Just pull the plugs out and look at them. If they're dry you're lean, if they're soaked you're rich. Do this and report back. We'll tell you what to do then.

Bryan

·
Registered
198 Posts
also check to make sure that the choke is dissengaging and not sticking on, that will also cause that senario..

·
Registered
1 Posts
hAD THE DAME PROBLEM WITH MY 1980 PANTHER....COULDNT GET THAT BUTTERFLY CARB TO WORK RIGHT SO SWITCHED TO A 32MM MUKINI SLIDE CARB,RUNS LIKE A CHAMP NOW.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Rebuild the fuel pump.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Before you spend time rebuilding fuel pump check price on a new one,usually you can get one for $8-9 more than the rebuild kit and you dont have to mess around with the diaphrams.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I finally got a chance to look at it again and when it dies out the clutch side spark plug is very wet but the recoil side is normal. This is a single carb engine. The compression is low but even on both cylinders (about 70). I know thats not good but still don't know why one side would run different than the other. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Is that 70 psi with the throttle wide open and key off and at least 3 good fast pulls?

Part of the problem is if that is a true compression reading. It needs new rings.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Back to the basics. Start with a Carb refurbish!

Then go from there.

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
well get the starting fluid out and spray that pto end seal,that will tell you if its sucking air

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by basstracker98k
[br]OK, I finally got a chance to look at it again and when it dies out the clutch side spark plug is very wet but the recoil side is normal. This is a single carb engine. The compression is low but even on both cylinders (about 70). I know thats not good but still don't know why one side would run different than the other. Any ideas?
I think you need a topend. And while you're at it, might as well do the whole thing. Spend the extra $15 on a whole gasket set and tear it ALL down and put new seals, etc in. IF after the rebuild you're still having trouble let us know.

Bryan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts