Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking at getting into asphalt drag racing. I have a 1993 Arctic Cat EXT 550 that i would probably use. Will that sled be ok to get started in racing?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
You could get started with that 550 ext, its not exactly the ideal sled to use as it really doesn't make a good amount of horse power and there are not a whole lot of mods available that can be done to it to get a whole lot more out of it, your saber cat would fit the bill better as it is a lighter chassis with quite a bit more power to start with but it would be up to you on where you want to start, the initial starting point of investing in the parts to get going is the hardest part, a set of used asphalt skis and a track, extra wheel kits for the rear suspension, and a cool down setup will be needed to get it going, I've been asphalt racing for over 5 years now and I will tell you once you try it you will be hooked, if you need any more info or have any questions feel free to PM me and ask as I would be more than happy to help anyone that is interested in getting into asphalt racing, the bottom line in asphalt racing just like any other form of racing whether it be with sleds or any other kind of vehicle is SPEED COSTS MONEY, how fast do you want to go, I will always encourage anyone thinking on getting into asphalt racing as it is a great alternative to get out during the off winter months and be able to run a sled.

2010516213435716_8010.jpg

2010516213430372_8010.jpg

20071010143737502_8010.jpg

74215.jpg

50381.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also looking into maybe getting into asphalt drag racing. I got a 98 Polaris rmk 700. It was a
mountain hill climb sled. Got a 144 track. Twin pipes. Cheater heads. Bunch of other mods. What will I need to get it ready and most of all where do I buy the stuff?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Ettenrmk said:
I'm also looking into maybe getting into asphalt drag racing. I got a 98 Polaris rmk 700. It was a
mountain hill climb sled. Got a 144 track. Twin pipes. Cheater heads. Bunch of other mods. What will I need to get it ready and most of all where do I buy the stuff?
For starters your only gonna be able to run a 136 track as that is the longest they make, I am assuming your rmk has rail extensions to make it a 144, the only problem that will present itself to you is that 136 by 15 asphalt tracks are no longer being made by camoplast, so unless you can find a used 136x15 your gonna have to find a 136x10.5, but running a 10.5 with a stock suspension there are some modifications that need to be done on the rear arm to make it work, or you will have to spend big money on a true 136 asphalt suspension, you will also need extra wheels placed between the rails for the track to run on as the hi fax have to be removed, you also will need a set of asphalt skis that can be found used, my brother just sold a set of brand new USI asphalt ski's for $290 shipped to Canada, if you want to look at a site that has pretty much everything for asphalt racing go to:
www.wahlracing.com, new asphalt racing parts are expensive but its the price you pay to get into the sport, when we started out over 5 years ago we did it with used parts that we picked up off the internet and ebay, and also bought misc parts from wahl, you will also need to get or make a cool down setup for cooling the sled down after a run, quick disconnect fittings can also be bought from wahl, they are made by CPC and are pretty much the industry standard that all asphalt and grass racer use, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask and I can get you steered in the right direction to help get you started.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alrighty. I also have a 96 Polaris 600 tripple. And it has a 136 on it so maybe I could use that. I've been looking online for used asphalt skis and tracks and haven't found nothin yet. And I understand what to do with the suspension. But in not sure what you mean by build a cool down system for the sled after a run?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Ettenrmk said:
Alrighty. I also have a 96 Polaris 600 tripple. And it has a 136 on it so maybe I could use that. I've been looking online for used asphalt skis and tracks and haven't found nothin yet. And I understand what to do with the suspension. But in not sure what you mean by build a cool down system for the sled after a run?
Here are a couple pictures of my cool down cart that I built 3 years ago, it is a contained system type with a 12 volt water pump and a cooling fan, the radiator was a A-coil from a home air conditioning system that I modified by stacking the two pieces and linked them together with some copper plumbing fittings and hose elbows,this cool down setup will cool my engine down in 10 minutes so the sled will be ready to run down the 1/4 mile again rather quickly, just like when racing on grass of course there is no snow to cool the sled down so a cool down setup must be used, otherwise you will have to wait a hour or so for the engine to cool down on its own before making another run,there are also basic cool down setups that use a plastic cooler with a 12 volt bilge pump to circulate the coolant but I don't care for those kind of setups as they tend to be messy and you have to keep putting ice in to help with the cooling,

Also here is a link from another site, this guy has a set of wahl asphalt ski's for sale, they are the 4 wheel per ski models that are $695 new from Wahl Bros.

http://cs.amsnow.com/snocs/forums/t/71915.aspx

Here is the link the the Wahl Bros online web page that shows the ski's

http://www.wahlracing.com/product.php?productid=19798&cat=251&page=3&click=srclick

20106162133646_8010.jpg
201061621339765_8010.jpg

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Ettenrmk said:
Oh cool. So do u just hook up the cool down cart to the snowmobiles coolant system?
Yes, you have to have quick disconnects spliced into the coolant system on the sled, after a run you hook up to the cool down and in about 10 minutes or less the motor is cool and ready to run again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts