Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into converting my ice sled into a asphalt drag sled. Does anyone know of a set of rules I could get ahold of to insure a legal build? Im using my 92 Polaris 650 and any useful suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I agree with the above comment,it comes down to the individual track(s) that you go run at,I've been on both NHRA and IHRA tracks,unless your running a Pro-Stock 1000,Outlaw or big power adder you will probably not encounter too many problems,but as was said above,it would be best to contact your local track and ask what their rules and requirements are,as they can vary from one track to another,to get started I will suggest a full leather suit,up to date snell rated helmet,over the ankle boots,and have a tether on the sled,most tech guys at the drag strips are not fluent with the mechanics of a sled,they mostly just see cars and bikes,most of the time they never even ask me to open my hood,just usually ask if the tether works,get your sled setup right,get the proper gear,and go have fun....

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
You can also get an ISR rule book, but that set of rules is more stringent than NHRA or IHRA rules.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I currently drag race on sand running my snowmo powered pro atv 1000 thundercat. I'm looking to convert to asphalt with a sled. I have a brand new Doug Flannery built 1362cc motor that I have yet to fire up that I will put in the sled. Doug told me to go for the gen 2 series sled for a couple reasons he said they are a decent chassi and also there is enough room to bend the pipes in the front without cramming them. so would I want to shoot for the indy xc style? just trying to pick you seasoned sled racers brains that have dealt with these situations. any imput would be appreciated. thank you.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
The 800 XCR chassis, as it started out with the biggest motor, and people usually go bigger from there with them..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did a conversion to asphalt with stock suspension (8in), and a 15x128 track. I didn't have full leathers, and didn't think I'd need them as I didn't think I'd run under 11 sec. Well after a 9.9.pass at 135 I was told kindly to stop.. so get good leathers too, cause even my old relic was fast..😁

1 - 12 of 12 Posts