Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over New Years put over 200 miles on my Indy Triumph. The first 100 was lake riding lots of wide open miles and had absolutly no problems. The sled ran like stink 94.6 mph according to the GPS. However the next day trail riding in the U.P. I stopped to give a guy some gas and fouled my brake side plug. About 15 miles later my clutch side plug fouled. No other problems however. Last year I had my main jets lowered to 350 because I was fouling plugs like crazy. Just wondering if any of you guys have had similar problems.[|)]

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
lol. If your fouling plugs NOT at WOT, then it's your needle. Drop your needle a little... Only after your properly jetted on the top end.

-Dean

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
if everytime u fouled a plug it was time to trade in.....ppl would be trading so much
it would be a lost cause.....lol

·
Administrator
1998 XCR 440
13,109 Posts
Originally posted by vmax600
[br]Sounds like you may need to trade that thing in.
Um. What relevance does this have with anything? Please don't waste our time with useless JUNK like this. Close enough to brand bashing for me.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I have the same sled as does TriumphoverU. Seems the Triumphs were jetted too rich from the factory(360's-clip in #4).TriumphoverU had this done and he said his is fine now."Installed 350 mains, moved e-clip to #2 position, moved mixture needle to 1 and 1/4 turns out".
I looked at my shop manual and the next settings down are 340 jets and clip to #3 position did not touch mixture, I did that but have not been able to try it as theres no snow around here. I would try TriumphoverU's set up.The Clips are really easy and all you have to do is take off the top covers on your carbs, loosen the small allen screw inside, slide the clamp over and pull the needle out with a long nose pliers. The clip position goes from the top. Message me or TriumphoverU if you need any help.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
"Um. What relevance does this have with anything? Please don't waste our time with useless JUNK like this. Close enough to brand bashing for me."

Polarisman: Obviously a new member who did not read the rules and needs to be set straight".

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys I'll let you know what happens. Chris

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Just wanted to let you Know that I finally got my Triumph out yeasterday on the lake. Temp was 20 degrees and with re-jetting an clip position change I did, it is burning perfect. nice tan color with a white ring around the top edge of electrode. You don't want white any further down than 1/3 of electrode or its too lean.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Stumbled on this while doing a google search on triumphs.

I've got a 2000, and I am in the UP. Was fouling plugs from the get go. Brought to Lake Antoine,Polaris dealer in Iron Mountain, he told me maintanence, and that it was my problem. Haven't been back to him since. But I had needles dropped a size. Put over 1000 miles on before fouling a plug. Gas mileage improved alot. Lost a bit of bottom end though.

Talked to another guy he rejetted, seems to be a problem right from the factory.
Still back fires a bit. Not a good idler either.

Curious have you done anything to yours? Clutch, pipes, ect?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
My sled has fouled about 4 plugs so far this winter. I believe i'm going to try going down to 340 main jets and move the e-clip to position number 3 to see what happens. As of right now my sled idles perfect and will idle all day long. I have set the idle at about 1900-2000 rpm. I prefer to have it a little high, but that is just my preference.

As for mod's all i have done is to stud it and re-gear it to get a little better bottom end performance. Changed from a 21 tooth top gear to a 20 tooth. I am thinking about a clutch kit for this coming summer when it gets warm enough again to finally work on it. I may pull that 20 tooth gear back out and re-install the 21 toother as i think the clutch kit will give me the bottom end performance i am looking for. As for the pipes, all i can say is good luck. According to HSP and other pipe mfg's they do not make any pipes that will fit the Triumph. I thought pipes for an XLT would have fit but Hot Seat told me they wouldn't. So since pipes seem to be out of the question, i am contemplating a set of powerdome heads which raise compression and supposedly give an extra 8-10 HP. But of course this will require higher octane gas. If you find any other accessories (pipes, other mods) please let me know.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
UPDATE:
I have been running in temps colder than 20 degrees (F) with no problems.
This past Sat. temp got up to 30 degrees. fouled the clutch side plug twice. Both times was running in midrange. My expert buddy told me to change clips to #2 posititon. Did not foul a plug after that. took a 4 mile ride across lake and pulled plugs and they looked good, not too lean.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I did foul a set this year, it was in the 30s. I have rode in waarm weather before, ok. The plugs were 2 years old, so...
I have been thinking about a cluthc kit or changing gears. I was thinking gears would be cheapest and easiet to do. Though now that I think about it I don't know if Ihave the right puller.
I had a garage change the needles, it only have a few hundred miles on it and I didn't to tear it apart. Plus the triples are a pain in the butt. Not like the old sleds where its easy to get at. I lost alot of bottom end I would like back.
Not realy interested in pipes, lot of money no guarantee I'll be happy.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hey just to add something here. You dont need a puller to change gears on your sled. Simply remove the chaincase cover and remove the 2 bolts holding the gears on their respective shafts. Really a simple process.

If p-man would ever get around to it, i made a tutorial on changing gears and also a tutorial on studding for him to use on his website. But i dont think he has got them out there for everyone to see yet.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I personally didnt notice much of an RPM change if any. I believe i have lost about 3 mph on top end, but gained power for the holeshot. The midrange power is about the same because the clutching takes over and since snowmobile clutches are torque sensing they adjust for varying conditions. I only went down 1 tooth though. If you go down more than 1 tooth, you may need a shorter chain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts