Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty I have a project polaris scrambler with a 680 triple in it (thread in the polaris forum). Anyway I want to hook up a tach, and I have an extra 5" autometer with the standard hook wires, power (lights and main power), ground and a trigger wire. Now with the ultra wiring there is the black wire that runs from the stator to the cdi (or vice versa), and it branches off to all three coils. Now if I set the tach to the 6cyclinder setting, would the tach work and read properly? (2 stroke, 3 cyclinders would mean 6 pulses per rotation, the same as a 4 stroker 6 cycliner motor, my thinking anyway)

Now if this is true I think it would also work for a 2 stroke twin, and set (or buy) the tach to 4cyc. mode and rock n' roll.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to get it to work, the ultra motor sends out a 6 pulse signal, so i set the tach to a 6cyl. mode, wired in a bridge rectifyer to get the proper dc current (now i never found out if the tach would run on ac current), which took the dc current from the motor, swapped it to dc, ran it to the battery, with a ground wire from the battery to the frame, then i wired the tach as per autometer instructions and she fired right up :D and seems to be fairly accurate too.

So this would work with any 2 stroke, twin or triple, providing it sends out a 4 pulse (for a twin) or 6 pulse tach signal.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Most newer sleds run 6 pulse tachs regardless of being twin or triple. Sounds like a decent setup any pics?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll grab a picture of it tomorrow mounted up, its not in the best spot to keep an eye one when stand up riding, but other wise works awesome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts