Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with a couple of my buddies tonight and they say they used to use aviation fuel in the trucks or cars to clean them out or run better and wont hurt anything. I kinda got a little confused....would it acctually do anything??? Id like to try it out on my crf450 for the fun of it...will it screw up anything in my motor?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
srx_600 said:
Why not just run some sea foam through it to clean it out? After all it is proven.
+1 SeaFoam works wonders!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
James007 said:
I asked about the fuel, not foam
There will be no benefit, dependent upon what you use, it could contain lead which could coat the entire engine with lead deposits, also your engine is not set up to run high octane, a car can run reasonably well on it because the ECU constantly controls the spark and air/fuel ratio. Simply put, your engine is not meant to run on high octane, it won't run right and if used long enough it will hurt the engine. With tuning and a higher compression your engine could benefit from high octane but definitely not stock. Use the lowest octane the manufacturer recommends and it will run at its peak power output. Just using it once probably won't hurt anything but its not something I would try. If your intent on running it, my Arctic Cat dealer has 16 gallon drums of I think 114 octane race fuel for around $50 (probably gone up some now). They use it in sleds all the time, that would probably be the safest to use.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it recommends 92 or anything higher, says my shop manuel. thats why i was asking.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Aviation fuel is leaded 110 octane.

If you can run that, go ahead.

As for using it to "clean" anything. No. You're better off to use something like SeaFoam for cleaning things.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Avation fuel will be a waste of money to use straight. But, if you add 1 gallon of it, to 9 of regular fuel, if there's an advantage to be seen, it is there. I know this did wonders for my old hot-rod back in the 80's.

Avation fuel will not help clean out anything, you need some form of fuel system cleaner for that.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Polaris-Man said:
Aviation fuel is leaded 110 octane.

If you can run that, go ahead.

As for using it to "clean" anything. No. You're better off to use something like SeaFoam for cleaning things.
Aviation fuel is not 110 octane, it is 100ll for 100 octane low lead. there is one reason it has lead in it compared to your typical unleaded gasoline, for the old airplane motors that were built and made for lead fuel back in the day. now i have read many posts and done alot of research on this topic. Also I have ran it in my snowmobile. If it is used all the time you will get a lead buildup. It will not clean out your engine though..... if you want that go get some seafoam...........

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, wasnt just about cleaning out the motor....i was just going to expirement...but i did not want to screw anything up.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I used to work at the arlington airport, one of my duties was being a pump jockey. It is 110 octane, and I used to run it in my isuzu trooper, until it burnt every valve in its poor little head. And this happened pretty fast, only about a month or so. I would NOT recomend it at all, at least in a car. Not sure about your bike though.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
dirtydan said:
I used to work at the arlington airport, one of my duties was being a pump jockey. It is 110 octane, and I used to run it in my isuzu trooper, until it burnt every valve in its poor little head. And this happened pretty fast, only about a month or so. I would NOT recomend it at all, at least in a car. Not sure about your bike though.
They use to make a few different octanes of AV fuel, I believe 100ll is the only one sold anymore. Which is 102-104MON depending on who makes it. I am not sure why it would have burnt your valves,maybe it just got lead buildup on them? AV gas burns cooler and should not have burned anything that regular gas wouldnt have.

I ran AV gas in my turbo sled last yr and I also mix it in with 87 in my YFZ to make it 91. AV gas has a 2yr shelf life so we also put it in our classic vehicals that do not get driven much. I have a 50Gal tank I keep full of it,I have filled it a couple times in the last yr already.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts