Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we went up to Karlstad today and unloaded, groomed trails are nice, rode up to Hallock, Lancaster, Lake Bronson and only did 74 miles, I got cold, it was WINDY and cold in those fields! But we plan on going again in the morning for round two. We didn't see anyone until the last 15 miles, we were the 1st on the groomed trails mostly that were done yesterday morning. Got some drift bustin' in too, but becareful which ones you hot, some are rock hard! It was worth the 2 hour drive each way!

Do you need a passport to get into Canada and back?

-Skip

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Yes, as of the new year they require a passport to get in/out of canada. I guess its just more of a hassle.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
I thought they delayed the passport thing until later this month. If your in Karlstad it is only about 60 or so miles more to the border. But then you have deal with P-man and his lack of grooming up there.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Originally posted by ACG
[br]I thought they delayed the passport thing until later this month.
well for us to go into the usa, prolly the same for you guys, they delayed it until jan,31/07. then from that day on passports are mandatory

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone want to go tomorrow? Monday?

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Why didn't you say something!? I went on a poker run yesterday from Karlstad, hit up all the small towns in that area, Hallock included. We rode up to Pembina and back to Karlstad. The trails were awesome. 120 miles yesterday. You should have came with. Where are you at now?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Were you with like 2 Doos or Cats? I was at a small gas station in Lake Bronson and saw a IQ, thought maybe it could be you. I am in Bemidji, I trailer up.

Oh, I didn't mention anything cause I don't have internet where I live now, so I am rarely online, I have to go into town and go to a restraunt to get wifi, so my net is limited.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Well, we managed a bit over 100 miles today with Skipponator (we being myself, him, and sledwrecker). I mapped out our path on Google Earth and that's what I got. Good times. It was a lot of fun...except for the overheating part on that last stretch of trail. It was below 0 degrees F most of the time riding. Kinda cold, but not too bad.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Overheating because of a lack of snow, or because of a sled problem? I plan to ride some of that area this weekend.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by erick
[br]That last stretch of trail we were on was not nice.
Which stretch was that? If I stay Hallock, Lake Bronson, Lancaster, and north, will the trails be good?

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
It was Middle River to Strathcona. The trail is on an old minimum maintinence road so it doesn't get snow blowing on to it from the fields like the others. Pretty much everything else in NW MN is good to go. The trails by Strathcona, Greenbush, Karlstad, Badger, Roseau, Hallock, Lancaster, Lake Bronson, and up to Pembina are all excellent considering the lack of snow we've had.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Great, thanks. I will be starting out on the ND side. I will probably ride MN Saturday and ND Sunday, or vice versa.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Erick, when i got home last night from riding i checked the temp and it said -11F!!

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya good riding, I did 130 miles, biffed it once in the begining on the way to our meeting place, and damn near biffed it again on that one driveway Erick, good thing the Phazer is actually stabil, I thought for sure I was off the thing and it go tumblin' around, but nope, she stood up! I don't think I ever have ridden that hard, I am feeling it today, I think it was from my 1st spill. Hopefully one of these days I can get my suspension setup so I can actually take corners and feel a little more comfortable all around on the thing and hitting appraoches, but very good time!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Skipponator, if you ever feel like coming back up here, just let us know and we'll gladly go for another ditch run!!!!

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
The pictures look awesome. Here's one I got of you with my camera while I was taking a video clip with your camera.

[attachment=56498]

[attachment=56499]

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Originally posted by Skipponator
[br]

Nope. Even the new passport rule starting Jan 23 '07 is for air travel only.

One of these times I guess perhaps I'll have to head out that way and join in on these rides and whatnot... I was grooming yesterday and today though.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris-Man
[br]
Originally posted by Skipponator
[br]

Nope. Even the new passport rule starting Jan 23 '07 is for air travel only.

One of these times I guess perhaps I'll have to head out that way and join in on these rides and whatnot... I was grooming yesterday and today though.
Excuses, excuses

·
Registered
347 Posts
Oh yeah baby, the trails in NW Minnesota are great! I was on the Saturday ride with Erick and Sledwrecker, and we had a good time.

If anyone is planning on heading up here to Karlstad, be sure to hit "Trail 1" to the warming house. Everything in Kittson county has been groomed, and it's super-smooth right now, no grass showing anywhere in the ditches. Just a couple of small spots through the swamps that are snowless and rough, but they last for less than a mile in couple spots.

All we need it a couple of inches this week, and it will be PERFECT.

Anyone know what it's like in North Dakota? It looks like the snow coverage map shows snow near the peace gardens. How about Walhalla?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts