Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as most of you know I moved from Ontario to Saskatoon. Just before I moved I did front brakes, front axle seals and a couple ball joints. Well the other day I went outside to get in my truck and I see a puddle of oil under my passenger side, I look and it looks like it's coming from the outside end of the axle tube. Any ideas what would cause this to go again? And this bad?

· Registered
2,427 Posts
Maybe there is an imperfection on the shaft that is causing the seal to fail, or maybe it was just a bad seal. Take a close look at the axle shafts though.

I feel your pain, I just had a rear axle seal replaced on my 2003 Yukon.

· Registered
4,547 Posts
The rear axle seals are fairly easy to replace, the fronts, I have never done them, but I have heard they are just time consuming. Try Lucas oil additive in your differential and see what happens. I have had it in the front of my 97 suburban for a couple years now and the seals are still bone dry, they were leaking before and the gear lube was slinging all over underneath my truck. I replaced the gear oil with synthetic fluid(2qts) and 1/2 quart of Lucas.

· Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried the Lucas stuff, the seal is BAD, it's bad enough that if I shut it down for 30 min there is a little puddle under the truck. I got the GM seals, and am probably going to put them in tonight. The shaft was perfect when I put the new seals in last time, and before it was just a little drip, it's coming out a lot now.

· Registered
2,017 Posts
Possibly just a bad seal off the shelf. Or possibly when trying to get the axles out the axle tubes got damaged? I fudged up the axle tube on my blazer trying to get the axle to pop out. Took an air hammer to make it happen :/

· Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
88400 said:
Possibly just a bad seal off the shelf. Or possibly when trying to get the axles out the axle tubes got damaged? I fudged up the axle tube on my blazer trying to get the axle to pop out. Took an air hammer to make it happen :/
I hope it was just a bad seal, I'm using GM parts this time, waiting for my slow room mates to finish putting a thermostat in the 1's Audi. Then I can get in there to do my seal. Going to do the bad one today and probably the other one next weekend depending on how long it takes to do the passenger side one.

· Registered
9,987 Posts
So you think that the actual GM part is better than a good quality after-market one? Think again.

If the factories used good quality materials to build vehicles, 90% of automotive repairs wouldn't be necessary. This is why the imports kicked the US made cars asses for so long.

· Registered
92 Posts
I have to agree aftermarket parts are sometimes much better then OEM. And also check to see if the axle shaft is not damaged at all. That is a major cause of seal leakage.

· Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I noticed a leak in the drivers side to, but just to say leaking, just enough to piss me off. Did them both today with GM parts. Seems ok now, I drove it a bit and didnt notice a leak. fargoguy the bearings are good, and the shaft SHOULD be ok. I hope lol.

I`ll update in a day or 2 if I see anymore leaking or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.