Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 600 edge w/ ves and the dam thing is back firing when i let off the throttle and the sled start to idle down or when I'm putting down the trail at low rpms.
it's got allot of power when I'm on the throttle and no hesitation.
any help please.

also i put in 2 gals of 98 octane and 1 gal of 92 octane

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
First thing that comes to my mind is water in the gas. Probably not alot since it isn't bogging out or backfiring during acceleration. Try running some SeaFoam in it.

Something else, maybe your running to high of octane. Although I am assuming if you are mixing 92 and 98 octane your sled requires it. Just a thought since to much octane and it gets harder to burn so some gas could be sitting in the pipe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, dumped the gas and filled it with 92 octane and it is running allot better. someone told me to check the choke and see if it is sticking, I'll check that tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
checked chokes, they looked good, still sound like it wants to die when you let off the gas, sound like its running out of gas but if throttle it back up it run good.
when idling in the yard the rpms vary from 2000 to 3500, thought it mit be a leak so I sprayed starting fluid around carb and all the seals and found no leak. [:(]

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had that happen to me with my old indy 500. It wouldnt run good at low or mid but as long as you put it to the woods, it was fine. Well story goes as the more mile i put on, it kept getting worse, to the point where if i let off the gas, it wanted to die. Guess what happened (and your not gana want to hear this) It burned down, but time, top end, bottom end, everything but the pipe and cars ended up getting tosted. Im sure its just water, but if i were you, id stick a flash light down the holes to see whats up.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well to try and be atleast a little bit of use, id check the filter to see if any H20 could be floating around in it, and i would also check the gas fuel pump to see if any water is in there as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i dont know the technical name but i would check to make sure that your throttle cable has a lil slack in the thumb piece, theres actualluy a cut out that will cause back firing, the dealership told my dad that when he was having the same problem, your thumb piece schoul have a lil less then about an 1/8" of play or so, when you pul the throttle WOT you can actually see the lil platic pin in there.... hope my jibberish makes sence[:D]

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Well, I guess I would just dump a can of seafoam in it and hope it clears it up, whether it be from water or dirt. Considering it ran fine after dumping the gas and putting in less octane and then the next day it started acting up again, I'd say that would be the next thing to try.

If that doesn't work, sschwei399 could very well be right. I have also heard of that causing similar symptoms, although usually it bogs when you pin it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
if im not mistaken it was backfiring when he would play with the throttle, although it was last yr or maybe even 2 yrs ago lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts