Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 vmax 500 xt. It has just started to back fire. I just changed the plugs and cleaned the carbs... one of the back fires caused the engine to die. It restarted with no problem.Anyone have any ideas of what it could be

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no particuler rpm but when slowing down it backfires

·
Registered
37 Posts
my 99 mountain max does the same thing when its not completely warmed up. once its warn it goes away

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have changed the plug wires and have had no back fires in over 100 km

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Skyybids
[br]How much and where did you get the wires from? My local yami dealer wanted 18 bucks a piece, I told him he was crazy!

Got them from Yamaha for 24 $$ cnd plus shipping. Nearest Yamaha dealer is 400 km from here.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
24/wire choke choke

·
Registered
108 Posts
GET IT OUT, IT HURTS IT HURTS!!! I'm pretty sure you're talking about the dealership in my town. There is an outfit in town that got me my needles & seats for $54 after taxes for the pair & P.G. Yamaha wanted $50 a piece before taxes. I don't know if he can get everything but he has brought in quite a bit for me. Usually only a two day wait for me. I'm guessing you could bus it from here.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Crazed
[br]GET IT OUT, IT HURTS IT HURTS!!! I'm pretty sure you're talking about the dealership in my town. There is an outfit in town that got me my needles & seats for $54 after taxes for the pair & P.G. Yamaha wanted $50 a piece before taxes. I don't know if he can get everything but he has brought in quite a bit for me. Usually only a two day wait for me. I'm guessing you could bus it from here.
Pretty close but not quite. I get my parts from Dawson Creek. Have never thought of PG. I will have to check prices there next time. I want to totally rebuild the sled this winter, will have to check around for the best prices on parts.

·
Registered
189 Posts
if it is back firing through the exhaust it is running on the rick side and if it is through the carbs it is on the lean side. Well that is wat I was told by Aaen Performancewhen I talk to them on jetting my sled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts