Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got back home from Gaylord MI. we started the trip at 7:00 am on Sunday. A few hours later around Battle Creek MI. exit one of the guys in the group received a ticket for speeding[B)]. This is only the start of his unfortunate luck! once we arrived, a few of us stopped before heading to the cabin and picked up our trail permits. the others decided they wanted to ride into town and get their permits. after crossing the lake they found out that there was spots of open water, and around 1 - 2" of ice. everyone of them was fortunate to of made it across without any problems.

once they got close to town they look ahead on the trail and see DNR, checking every sled for proper registration and trail permits. they decided to head back and get the truck to drive into town.

on Monday, we headed out north of town on the railroad bed, then crossed over toward Jordan valley (East Jordan & Alba) we stopped in Alba to refuel. This is were the MXZ 700 broke the recoil cord, thus resulting in using the emergency cord to start the sled.

ten minutes after re-fueling the indy triumph ends up breaking the bolt that holds the lower gear in place (inside the chain case) this allows the gear to move out and grab the chain case seal ripping it into pieces. The guy on the indy took his wifes MXZ 500 back to the gas station to get some gear lube oil, not realizing the problem yet. $9.00 for one bottle and a paper funnel, he pours some in the chain case and it runs out as fast as he's pouring it in. he decided that he would ride it easy back to the road side and leave it until we could return with a truck. he rode double with his wife on her MXZ 500 for 1 1/2 hours back to the cabin.

on the way back to the cabin, the rider of the MXZ 700 meets some people on the trail and jams the break, this kicks his track sideways and throws him off the sled, only to be hit in the back by the other sledder, (every one was okay, just some damaged pride!) this incident, resulted in a cracked hood on the MXZ, broken kill switch, and possibly a slightly bent handle bar. (the sled flipped onto its side).

about 30 minutes from the cabin the guy with the mach 1 starts to have engine issues, (the motor was just went through from last season's oil pump issues) the motor dies on him, pulls over hard and restarts. he drives about ten minutes more, and bogs. he kills the motor, checks things out and it pulls over easier, also restarts right away, but seems to be firing on two cylinders at idle, it acts like it picks up the third cylinder around 3000 rpm.

now we have three sleds that need worked on and it's only 2:00 pm on Monday. riding is basically done for the day so that repairs can start being made.

On Tuesday we headed out east of town then south toward Lovells were we re-fueled. From there we headed toward Grayling, jumping off trail to play for a while. this is when the yellow MXZ 600 and the guy on his wifes MXZ 500 (he was riding alone as she was too sore to ride today) find a dirt clod about 2' tall with their belly pans. the yellow mxz now has a cracked belly pan, the black mxz comes out okay, a hour later the guy on his wifes mxz finds a 6" pipe hiding in 1' - 2' of snow, this shoves all the pinion arms on the left ski back into the shock.

That incident makes us decide to get back onto the trails and to ride the loop on the west side of Grayling up toward trail 4 and back to the cabin. we arrived back at the cabin around 4:00 pm where riding was basically done for Tuesday, other than a few short 40 - 50 mile trips around Gaylord. On Wednesday Morning we loaded up and headed home.

The trails were in decent shape by Monday afternoon, plenty of snow in most areas. The trail just north of Alba heading through the woods was rough as always. Overall I'd rate the trip as fair to good, of course I didn't have any mis-haps this year. you can check out pics here there aren't many but it's all I was able to get during our two rides. We were able to put on around 325 miles for the hole trip.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/default.asp?user=10758&vdir=273

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
well sorry for the unfortuante events. I am heading up to gaylord tomarrow night or friday afternoon. Ever stop at the keg in waters right on the rail road bed? I love that place.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I can't say that we ever have, we usually just grab some sodas or water and a snack at whatever gas station we stop at. The other beverages are saved for after the sleds are parked for the night. Trails should be decent for you guys they were under a lake effect snow advisory when we left this morning. Like I said the big Ostego Lake only has about 1" - 2" of ice on it, we were able to kick a hole in it so I would use your best judgement if you plan on riding any lakes up there! hope you have a better trip than the other guys in my group.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
yea i think were gunna skip the lake this week. Our house is actually right by the lake. We pretty much have trail 4 on out back door.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
trail 4, 79, 679 and the north and south loop on the east side were all in great shape. However you know what weekend riding does to the trails.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Originally posted by rev500ss
[br]trail 4, 79, 679 and the north and south loop on the east side were all in great shape. However you know what weekend riding does to the trails.
yup i know. im prepared.

·
Registered
364 Posts
give me a shout when you get in town i no longer have anyone to Ride with do to my dads sled being down for awhile
i live just off the rite of the rail road trail in town just turn at Jonson's oil and go down to center ave and turn rite again i have the house with the little steps daycare sine in the front yard or just pm me and ill give you my #

1 - 7 of 7 Posts