Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a way to automaticaly run a backup on a daily basis on all of my machines to my file server. Is there a good software solution for this? Something that might be a free down load or a share ware? Up to this point I've always done it manualy.

Thanks,

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
ludvic, what operating system does your file server currently run? If you're using linux you can download cygwin ( www.cygwin.com ), install rsync, set up an rsync server on the linux box and create a quick bash script to synchronize files on a nightly basis and it would be run using the windows scheduler. I also think you may be able to download a windows based rsync server if you do a search. If you want to go this route, I will give you help with the proper syntax, just let me know which rsync server you decide to use.

Also, if you (or anyone else) is looking for an off-site backup, the place where I work (Wiktel) has a new service which works awesome for windows users. The pricing is $10 per month for 1 gigabyte and $20 a month for 3 gigabytes. You download the software, select the files you want backed up, select the time you want the backup to happen and it will be set to do it automatically. It also uses rsync and the great thing about rsync is when you change files, it only transfers the changes and not the entire file again so backups are quick. We also allow people to get old files which are up to 30 days old so if you change a file and decide you don't like it, you can always pull an older version off the backup server.

You can get more information about that here: http://backup.wiktel.com If you're interested in signing up, just send me a PM. It would be wise of those who do not to an off site backup to start doing it...especially if you have important files that would be a disaster for you if they went missing.

I did a lot of programming on the client front-end. It uses .NET and C#.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Originally posted by Ultra680
[br]Manual backup (and more than one) of the original data files is the only reliable way to protect yourself. Use software to backup the programs, not the data that you cannot afford to loose.
My backup setup (and the one offered by my company) send an email to a specified account if there is no new data seen in X amount of days. It serves as a warning to be sure that the backups are working.

·
Registered
472 Posts
on some computers you can set the winbackup (windows free version) to backup directories to a location, your filer server, on login. Works pretty slick. Otherwise i have used a product call SyncBack as well. But the bundled xp product works just as good. let me know if you need some more explaining.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.