Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the plastic backers with the nut molded in?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
No, not those. But I do have the thick star pattern nylon backers with seperate lock nuts. They actually help with acceleration and braking. Great product.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
those are garbage in my opinion, i love plastic backers with the steel lock nuts. i have had alot better luck with the round backers versus the square, the square ones would break off the corners occasionally, i have never had a problem with the round ones..[:)]

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
yep they are nothing but trouble, on a sled with any power will tearstuds right out. stick with the proven round or square aluminum backers with regular lock nuts.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The plastic/nylon (what ever the heck they're made of) work great. A bunch of guys I know of have them on 700 and 800 cc sleds with upwards of 1500 miles and no problems. It just depends on how you ride and what conditions you ride int. I'm just not sold on the ones with the locknut moleded into the plastic.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
If the plastic(nylon) backers with the steel nuts are installed correctly, there won't be a problem. Alot of guys torque the plastic(nylon) ones down like the aluminum ones, which is wrong. Plastic(nylon) ones should only be torqued to 35 INCH lbs.
I know a guy running the plastics(nylon) w/steel nuts on a built up 195hp T-cat 1000 with no stud rip out problems and this guy is a speed demon.

I have heard from people with the plastic(nylon) backer nut combo and the nut part likes to crack. I would stay away from them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the jury's in, plastic backers o.k., plastic nuts suck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts