Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Too much gas going through the engine, then it will sit in the muffler and when it runs, it will back fire. Sounds like the carbs need to be cleaned, and the needle and seat should be checked out. Thats what it sounds like to me...

-Rob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it has been very cold -0 and the last two rides I have gone on the machine bogged a little going up the hill from my house. I can get the engine to kick back in if I hold the lever to the wood, but then it backfires. I checked my plugs, the carbs were cleaned less than a month ago. Could it be the cold?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey man, my 96 did the same thing, i don't know if your 97 is the same but i talke to the local dealer and all you have to do is unplug those connectors down by the carbs, there is one for each carb. Just unplug all 3 of them, the dealer said the only reason they're there is incase your carbs freeze up wide open, those things are suppose to stop that from happening, some are faulty and will cause it to backfire like mine did. At first i changed the plugs and cleaned that carbs, i was clueless, unplugged those and problem solved, if you don't want to unplug all 3 just unplug the one that's causing the backfire. Hope I could help.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
did you check your spark when you checked you plugs... Your float could be sticking...

·
Registered
312 Posts
i've had my sled backfire about 3 4 times this year ,,,,,,,every time she did that ,i'd change the plugs and the problem went away ,,,,,,i was actually told by a dealer that they recomend changing the plugs every 20 hours of ridding ,,,,,,,,,i thaught that was a little low ,,, but at a couple$ a plug ,, big deal right

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Originally posted by acadian
[br]recomend changing the plugs every 20 hours of ridding
Thats a scam! Theres no way you should have to change them that often...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
the plugs should last alot longer than that,ive seen ppl go the whole season without
changing them

·
Registered
312 Posts
yeah ,, i'm with you guys ,, cause i've used them for definatly over 20 hours and they still seemed good ,, but i know that whenever i'd have a backfire problem,, changing my plugs would solve that 100% of the time
(so far anyways ),,
but ya i think 20 hours is quite low ,, just wanted to know if any of you heard otherwise

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
One of my buddies had the same plugs in his sled for over 3 years... I was impressed...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
He probably does a 1000 a year... He just likes to do the relaxing day rides... We only ride on weekends too....

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've had a set of plugs last me for over 2,000 miles... good old NGKs. If your sled is running right, there's no reason why a set shouldn't last that long.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i've come to the conclusion that NGK plugs are just junk!!! at least the resistor ones! they seem to fail on my xlt at random, for no good damn reason!!! i now they are cheap and i've learned to carry a handfull at all times, just seems odd that they go whenever and wherever they feel the need to!

·
Registered
197 Posts
a better rule for plug changing is about every 300mi (you should be checking them that often anyway so why not swap them out)

·
Registered
128 Posts
a lean mixture causes a backfire boys not a rich one. also check your reeds and if they are ok pull your exhaust y pipe off and check your pistons and rings for damage[;)]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts