Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 96 XLT SP this weekend. Runs great, but on start-up it seems to be dumping in a lot of fuel. Ends up sitting in the pipe then "Whooomp"..............."Whoomp". Had the carbs apart and gave them a good once over, but still blowing flames. Only when it's cold though.

Any thoughts?

Nice upgrade from my Trail!!! Pulls hard and rides sooo nice!

·
Registered
50 Posts
You'll get alot of good answers but simple fact is.......Welcome to the world of triples. Spit sputter cough foul plugs. You name it. Let it idle till you hear all three plugs fire up. Let her warm up for sure.

The floats on those carbs were set to high/low what ever you want to call it. They dump way too much fuel into the cylinders at startup. Adjust then to the high side of the spec and you'll notice an instant improvement in the way she starts up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
make shure yu flip the choke off as quick as yu can....my 96 xlt starts on 3 pulls everytime...no backfires...turn choke off fast!!!! never choke it after yu get it running for the day it usually doesnt need it.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well, have you changed plugs? how old is the gas. My Triumph also starts on 3 pulls with fresh gas, but doesnt like the old stuff. With the old gas i foul plugs like crazy, but never foul one out all winter unless its due to my stupidity of choking the engine too much. I love my triple, never have a problem with it except when i get it out from summer storage and try to burn through what little gas that was left in the tank that was left over from last year. Personally i would get some fresh gas in the tank if it isnt fresh already and put in 3 new plugs. Sounds like you have a spark plug that doesnt fire or fires too late when its cold...possibly a crack in the porcelin or partially fouled out. Yes guys it is possible to have a partially fouled out plug.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Yes, I have put in new gas and new plugs, new fuel & oil filters. The machine has been sitting for quite some time. Last year there was only 17 miles put on it. Ran good last night except for that backfire thing every once in a while. Starting to learn the choking process for original start-up, but like you said, after she's warmed up it's fine.

Went for a ride last night with my neighbours......One has a 01 XCR 800 (fast). the other has a 00 XC 800 that's been punched into a 925 (Very fast!!!) OMG!

·
Registered
290 Posts
If it keeps happening, replace the needle's and seat's, I had a xlt and that was one thing my shop told me to look for on xlt when buying one mine never had that problem. I have a 1997 ultra spx se 680 choke it for about 5 seconds " like most Polaris" and let the idle come down and go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts