Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well there is always some good news in bad news so lets start with that. It was the first big snow of the season. in some spots up to 1 foot of snow but mostly 10 inches. so the day stated great like i stated a fresh foot of snow. so me and my brother woke up at 5 am to start sledding. we went to the gas station to get gas. then we started sledding. it was going good until about 1 pm. that when it went bad. we were driving when all of a sudden my sled dies. which turned out to be a blown piston ring. then my other sleds track came off of it. we took an hour to put that back on. then i was driving and my seat literally fell off. so im jumping it without a seat when all of a sudden i snap the handlebars in half. not a good day at all. at least i have 2 more sleds to drive but neither of them are great. well thats my day i hope tommorow isnt as bad. i figured instead of starting another topic i will just ad to this. do you think i should rebuild the whole engine or should i just buy new rings. im kinda on a short bugget really short. if i have to rebuild it then it will have to wait untill next summer to get enough money.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It could have been worse.I'm sitting here in PA with a generator for power and no snow yet this year,today was 65 until that cold front spawned a tornado.Now we have no power and no snow,that really sucks.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Maybe some preventive maintenance will be seen in the future for you?

·
Registered
548 Posts
that must of sucked atleast you got to ride a liitle while with no problems good luck fixing your sled

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea i was ridding and now im not. i rode one day and now im out for the season. does anybody know if i can just put new rings on the piston to get it to run again or do i have to replace the whole piston.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
if the rings broke then there is probablly cylinder damage and piston damage. you might want to check that out

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Did I hear that right. You blew a piston ring, lost the seat, and snapped the handlebars? As much as that sucks to have happen to you, it's hilarious. I feel sorry it happened, but those three things going in the same day makes me laugh.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea but on the slight chance that the piston and cylinder are unharmed all i would have to buy is rings right.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wow man, that sucks that all that stuff went wrong. Get one of those sleds fixed and get out there and ride and put some miles on for the rest of us who aren't riding.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Thats a pretty crazy day!!! Looks like its about time to invest in a new ride? If all that happened in one day imagine the cost of fixing it through the season??

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea im starting to save up for a new sled. i have 1,500 hundred saved up now. and im trying to buy a firecat. next winter i will be able to afford one. i really dont want to invest a lot of money into the vintage sleds now because it will delay the wait of the firecat.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i'd say borrow soem money form the bank and buy the firecat.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Originally posted by v-maxsledder
[br]i'd say borrow soem money form the bank and buy the firecat.

Hey thats a pretty easy way. What are they going to do, write a frickin I-O-U?? Because they can't do anything LEGAL. Do you ever think before posting your dumbass replies? He's 15 you a$$hat, learn to read a profile.

But as far as throwing on new rings, it all depends. First you have to figure out why it blew up, so it doesn'y do it again and leave you out alot more money. Then you have to asses the damage. Did it scratch the coating off the cylinder? Did it gauge up the side of your piston? And if the rings did go then there must be shavings in the bottom off your crankcase. You'll need to get those out somehow, like a magnet or something. Take the head and cylinders off and take them to a dealer or something and have them look at them to see if they're salvageable, or get someone very experienced to look at them. I had to do this to my engine recently and just spent the whole day splinting the engine to change the crank seals, I know how much work and money is involved, and its not fun. Let us know if you decide to get wrenching.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Originally posted by mackinsaw
[br]
Originally posted by v-maxsledder
[br]i'd say borrow soem money form the bank and buy the firecat.

Hey thats a pretty easy way. What are they going to do, write a frickin I-O-U?? Because they can't do anything LEGAL. Do you ever think before posting your dumbass replies? He's 15 you a$$hat, learn to read a profile.
Someone has sand in their vagina... I say avoid the beach for a while before posting next time.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
some people never seize to amaze me!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts