Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,so i can't seem to get gas into the carbs on my 400 Storm project.I pulled the line on the fuel pump that goes to the gas tank.I then had my dad pull the sled over serveral times while i had my finger over the inlet on the pump.I couldnt feel any suction at all.Does this mean the pump is bad? Trav

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Chek the tightness of the line on the pulse fitting in the crankcase. Filter clogged?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Put the pump back together the way it's usually run. Take the lines off the carbs and pull it over. If there's gas coming out of the lines, you're usually good. This will tell you if the carbs are at least getting a little gas.

If your bowls aren't filling, I'd check for stuck floats, stuck needle and seat, clogged fuel filter, fuel pickup in the tank fell off or broke.

Bryan

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]Put the pump back together the way it's usually run. Take the lines off the carbs and pull it over. If there's gas coming out of the lines, you're usually good. This will tell you if the carbs are at least getting a little gas.

If your bowls aren't filling, I'd check for stuck floats, stuck needle and seat, clogged fuel filter, fuel pickup in the tank fell off or broke.

Bryan
^ is the best way to check them. It's pretty hard to tell from the "suction."

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt take the fuel pump apart yet.The main reason i think it could be bad is because i tried filling the lines and carbs with gas,and a 12 volt compressor.I was told to use about 5 psi and i think i put about 25 psi in.So the gaskets might have gotten blown apart.Is there any sure way to make sure the pump is bad? Trav

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Read what ibreakstuff wrote. He explained it in the second sentence.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no gas in the line closest to the tank.I tried pulling off the gas lines going to each carb and pulling it over,but still no gas. Trav

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Do you mean no gas in the line from the tank to the pump? If so then you have a totally different problem.

Your line/filter could be plugged. You could try blowing in the hose to see if it's plugged, otherwise there is always the good old sucking method to bring fuel through the line.

*edit* - If anything a pump rebuild kit is like $5-$10 and is quite easy to do.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes,i mean there is no gas in any of the lines.The fuel filter was new last year,so im pretty sure its not that.Im planning on checking into a rebuild kit tomarrow.How hard exactly is it to do? Trav

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How exactly does the fuel pickup come out though? Trav

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It's a fitting that threads into the tank. If you take the line off the tank, you'll notice that the fitting has a hex shape to it. Righty-tighty lefty-loosey. Pull it out and there should be a barbed end with a piece of fuel line on it. There may or may not be a screen on the pick up.

Bryan

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the pickup was bad,why would gas have gone through the lines and into the carbs when i tried using the compressor? I just want to get this damn thing running! A two week project has turned into a month long one! Trav

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by ditchbangin500xc
[br]I didnt take the fuel pump apart yet.The main reason i think it could be bad is because i tried filling the lines and carbs with gas,and a 12 volt compressor.I was told to use about 5 psi and i think i put about 25 psi in.So the gaskets might have gotten blown apart.Is there any sure way to make sure the pump is bad? Trav
When I read this I assumed you DIDN'T get gas into the carbs. If you read it, it doesn't specify. OK, then your pick up should be working; although it may still be clogged. Pull the pump apart. It's 4.95 for a rebuild if it's bad. It may just be filled with gunk. Also check the impulse line from the bottom of the pump to the crankcase. If it's torn, it won't pump fuel.

Bryan

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info again.I will check the impulse line and then probabliy take the pump apart and rebuild it. Trav

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE! I rebuilt the fuel pump (pretty sure i got it together right) and now the sled still wont pull gas through the lines.I about to give up and take it to a sled shop! I have no idea whats wrong.Please help me!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hmm. pretty sure you got it together right. You may have rebuilt a bad pump, only to put it together wrong. And have the same problem. If you're sure that your pump is OK, then pull the engine over with the impulse line off the carb. Put your finger over the impulse line. Do you feel suction there? Is the impulse line collapsing?

As for the fuel pump I'll describe the order as best as I can remember:

Bottom with impulse fitting and mount flanges, on top of that the gasket, on that should be the clear plastic, then the main pump body. On that should be another clear plastic, then a gasket, then the top. As for the main pump body, you should have removed the 2 little rubber plugs and pulled the plastic discs out. These are check valves. Put the new discs on and PUSH the rubber plugs through them into the pump body. Make sure that on the opposite side from where you pushed the whole barbed end of the plug is showing or it could pop off resulting in no pumping.

If your pump is together correctly and you have pulses from the crankcase, you have me stumped. Everything should be working fine. Your pickup flows, your pump is together correctly, and you have a pulse. There are no other variables in this equation. Are you sure you're pulling enough? It takes quite a few pulls to get to the carbs. Not just 3 or 4. More like 10 or 12. Do you have a clear inline fuel filter? I always use the clear ones. I can see how much fuel I'm using, how much crap is in there, and if it's flowing fuel.

Bryan

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Dumb question but I will ask anyway. Is there enough fuel in the tank. Sometimes it won't pull fuel if it's below 1/4 tank. Once system is primed it will pull but not when lines are dry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts