Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 99 ZR600 and rode if for the first time this past weekend. The first night rode 54 miles and the next morning the gas gauge was on empty. The next day we went rideing it was a little better because I was not hammering on it as much because of conditions and the trails, but it seemed to be more like another 50 miles used up 3/4 of a tank of gas. My fried has 01 ZR800 this was only thing I really had to compare it to. He always had alot more gas and he also had a lot more oil left in his resevoir than I did. Anyone have any insight on this? The sled ran great the whole weekend no problems what so ever. Anyone know what size gas tank it has. Is this just how they are? Just doen't seem to be right. Would appreciate any help or insight on this. Thanks so much.

Chad

·
Registered
11 Posts
I beleive these sleds are known for liking the gas! check your carb jetting to make sure it is correct for your altitude and temperature - if they are a couple of sizes to big this can make a big difference in gas milage. Also check the needle clip position and the carbs in general. I don't know for sure what your machine has for carbs but these are general things to check.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I guess my first question would be if it has carbs or is an EFI??

If carbs, I had a 98 ZL 500 that drank gas. Only thing I could do was drop the needle one position. That brought me from 10 mpg to 12 mpg, at the very best. Anything else I tried on top of this would burn down the motor.

If EFI...??? I'd suspect a bad sensor or two.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is carbed, Thanks a lot for the responses, I will have to check the settings to see whats up with them. Thanks.

Chad

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your gas gauge is probably off to. I have a 98 ZL 500 and when it hits empty I still have at least 1/4 of a tank. Find out your tank capacity and see how many gallons it takes to fill when you hit "E". I always assumed the gauge discrepancy was thrown in by arctic-cat so you don't run out of gas.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If memory serves me the '99's had 11 gal.tank and 01's had 13 gal. And also the '99's chug fuel in factory settings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts