Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone I have a question. I bought a used 97 440 XC 2,800 miles last winter brought it home, after a couple of weeks I wanted to go riding and I found the cylinders filled with gas. I took it back to the dealer and he said the needles and seats were bad. The dealer replaced them for free and I put on 1,100 miles last winter with no other problems. This winter I traded at the same dealer for a 99 XCR 440 1,800 miles, I took it home and after a couple of days the cylinders were filled with gas. This time I new it was the needles and seats... so I took it back to the dealer and again he replaced them for free. I should mention the dealer was great about it, since both sleds were bought used with no said warrenty. Does anyone know what causes this to happen??? I have owed Polaris for ever, way back since the old Colts and Cobras. I had Indy Sports, XLTs, Trials, XCFs, and even a 98 Cat ZL 440 and have never had this problem before. I also should mention that I never have shut the fuel off when I was not riding any of these sleds.

I think its Snowing!!
1999 Polaris XCR 440

·
Registered
948 Posts
My guess would be they didn't replace the needle and seat but the o-ring that goes around the seat. That happens when sitting in storage without any liquids to keep them swollen. My mikuni carbs on my motorcycle do the same. Like I said... just a guess.

Wayyyyy excellent service though. I would think that would be 1 - 2 hours labour for sure!

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Had the same prob w/ my XLT, the carb on the PTO side always filled exesively w/fuel. Changed the needle n seat (and o ring), prob solved.

I also always turn my gas valve off when the sled isn't going to be riden for more than 2 days, or any time its trailered.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
my 93 xlt sp does it all the time,,,,plannin to do some carb work this summer, but i always shut the feul off if i let it sit over night,,,,except for the other day,,,,,damn that gas was cold.....another thing to think about is when you trailer your sled, or however you get it from point a to point b, shut the gas off, and plug the exhaust pipe so no air gets in there, my friend had a txl that he did that with, and no more flooding, but since he crossed over to the dark side and rides a/c.

1993 xlt sp 580
xtra 10 suspension

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a update for you all. I dug my Sled out today in prep for the snow we are to get tonight. I checked the fuel shut off and I had left it on. Anyway the sled has been sitting for about 2 months, I pulled the cord and it fired right off. I do agree with you all about the fact that I need to remember to shut off the fuel when I am not using it. Although a side note is that needles, seats, and the O rings in good condition will not leak if you don't shut the gas off.... The only problem is you don't have X-ray vision to see inside the carbs!!!!

I think its Snowing!!
1999 Polaris XCR 440

Edited by - Bigfish on 07 Mar 2002 16:12:25

·
Registered
948 Posts
Just FYI... in the two years I've owned my XLT's I have never shut the fuel off overnight, week, month or even summer. It has always been on and I've never had a problem with fuel leaking into the cylinders. [ Knock on wood ]

I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
My '96 XCR 440 SP had the needle and seat problem, never had that problem with my '98 XCR 440 SP though.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by xltman:

but since he crossed over to the dark side and rides a/c.

1993 xlt sp 580
xtra 10 suspension[/quote]

"The dark side"

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is why I love this site. I have been having problems with one of 3 cylinders being flooded... I was told it was the choke cable - they fixed it and it was better, but only for a short time... most of the time the sled has been sitting except for me firing it up cuase I love how it sounds :). Anyway, I always leave the fuel on. I am going to try turning it off and see if it makes a difference. BTW - I live in Southern NY and this has been the worst damn winter ever - almost absolutely no snow... none, zip, nada! I just bought a trailer - thinking I will eventually go to where the snow is if it won't come to me :)

1997 ZRT800

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Over twenty polaris sleds in my life and not one bad needle and seat.Hmmmmm. You guys sure your float adjustment is right. its easy to check when you have the carbs off.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Good point. That is something I'll definately check on mine this summer.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
hey tfin, my buddy use to ride polaris, then he must have met intendedacceleration and his arctic cat mind control, cause he rides cat now,,,,,the dark side of the force (star wars)

1993 xlt sp 580
xtra 10 suspension

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
(This is all in good fun now...
)

So if A/C is the dark side, then that must make intended Darth Vadar.......

Intended: Fellow snowmobilers.....(inhale, exhale)....You will ride Artic Cats......(inhale, exhale).......

lol!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts