Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[V] Well, my XCR 600 was having problems staying running and had an unusual drag on the engine. It has been in the shop the last couple days, and I got a call today. The diagnosis is bad crank bearings! That's not gonna be cheap.

·
Registered
975 Posts
[V]Ouch brother! That's gonna hurt. Good luck

·
Registered
312 Posts
MAN,, that TOTALY sucks and i'm well placed to tell you because just last week my 97 t-cat had a 800 in it and my crank let go on me as well,, and i check out the pricing on getting fixed and so forth ,, was cheaper for me to get a new engine ,, so i got the 1000cc engine for 1200$
Hopefully you can find something WAY cheaper or someone that could salvage your crank ,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it's a 1996 and it's only got 2600 if I remember right. The worst part is that I just got it this year and haven't been able to ride it. I guess it went at an unlucky time. It's not the entire crank, just the bearings are bad.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Jeeze, that totally sucks man. You going to get it fixed right away, or is this going to hold you up for a while. Either way, I'm definately sorry to hear it, and hope you can get back out there soon.

·
Registered
312 Posts
believe me ,, even if it's JUST a bearing , it's enough ,,
SAME thing happened to me, i baught my tcat 2 weeks before christmas and the crank let go on me 3 weeks later ,,,,,,and only couple bearings were worn,,,,,,,but you can't take the chance with bearings like that ,cause then you might do something worse like split the base, wouldn't want that
Hope it works out for you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, they finished it yesterday and I went to look at it yesterday. It starts with 1-2 pulls, just like when I got it. It runs cherry. The bad news: $780 bill. He took it apart and found one bad crank bearing and another that had been recently replaced. The crank seals weren't recent, so he replaced them. The pistons were newer aftermarket ones. The cylinders on my sled are cast iron, but they were worn so much, that they were a mirror finish so he honed them, and checked the rest of the sled over and found some other stuff like spark plug terminals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts