Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my girlfriend out on saturday in Crowsnest pass, this was her first time on a new sled in the mountains. I was with my regular sled pal and she was riding his 600 MC(stock). She was going up a small hill, not very steep, but the snow was and she did not have enough speed through the corner and the sled tipped, she fell off and the sled did a half roll and stopped, but the throttle got stuck wide open. I saw the roll and she was crawling back to the sled before the throttle stuck open and by the time I got there, about 30 seconds later, I managed to dig to the key and shut it off. Coolant spilled out and definately some overheating. The sled drove out to the access road by itself and we brought in the truck to take it the rest of the way out so as to not do anymore damage. She is devastated, but not hurt, and is worried about having to pay for a new engine, and is talking of not snowmobilling again. It will be interesting to see how much damage was done, I hope not much. This is the bad part of letting someone else ride your ride, she did not do anything wrong, but you have to expect that something like this can happen, eventually. Both me and my buddy have done this a thousand times on eachothers sled, with no damage, but this was her first time. She also did the same roll on my sled on the way out but on the brake side of mine, just some flooding.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Bummer man. I saw the thread on snowest about this. Either way, it wasn't a single bit the sled owners fault, so they really shouldn't have to foot any of the bill.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Whenever I lend a sled out I tell them if you wreck it you pay for it. If it blows up on you I will pay for it cause it most likely would have done it to me anyhow. So ya that sucks. you might want to taker her apart all the way and look for heat coloring on the crank/rods.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Hopefully it won't be too much damage and at least your GF is alright. But you should probably make sure you can get her out sledding again so that she doesn't fear it later

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess this is when you find out the real personality of some people. When you give permission to let someone else ride, there is that risk that this can happen, if it is beyond your control, who is responsible, you ride stupid then you are going to pay. This to me is just an accident and not deliberate with no intent to do damage. All summer and into this winter, my buddy has been saying he wants to rebuild or buy an 800 motor, I hope he dose not use this as a excuse to get a new motor and not pay for it. To me, if someone rides my sled and is doing some climbing and the motor blows up, that's what happens, my loss. He climbs a hill that is 90% rocks, you just bought a sled. Should make a contract that outlines what is wrong or right next time, or just never ride anything that is not yours.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Originally posted by palmer600
[br]I guess this is when you find out the real personality of some people. When you give permission to let someone else ride, there is that risk that this can happen, if it is beyond your control, who is responsible, you ride stupid then you are going to pay. This to me is just an accident and not deliberate with no intent to do damage. All summer and into this winter, my buddy has been saying he wants to rebuild or buy an 800 motor, I hope he dose not use this as a excuse to get a new motor and not pay for it. To me, if someone rides my sled and is doing some climbing and the motor blows up, that's what happens, my loss. He climbs a hill that is 90% rocks, you just bought a sled. Should make a contract that outlines what is wrong or right next time, or just never ride anything that is not yours.
Well if you do end up having to buy a new engine you are only responsible for replaceing it with the same size engine or paying the value of that engine. This is why my sled is offered to only 2 friends to use because i trust them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one thing I forgot to mention is he has a tether cord on the sled but dose not have the the end you plug into on the sled, so definately had no chance to stop engine.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
thats too bad, but on the bright side your Gf is alright

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would get her back on a machine quickly before she gets to afraid of riding agian. Ride some on some the trails and ditches before she strats moutian riding agian. It is your buddies fault for not having the proper saftey tether for mountian riding. Maybe get her hooked on trail riding then get her a machine.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Who's decision was it for your GF to ride his sled? HIS, who should then take responsibility, HIM. He should take responsibility for his decision and recognize that certain risks are taken when you lend out your stuff and he should of thought of that before hand. And if he wants to get an 800 out of you then you might want to consider some new riding buddies. I was always told to take responsibilty for my own actions, and for that I lend ym stuff only to those I trust the most. Dont mean to be a hard a$$ but its just my .02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts