Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went north wednesday. We went riding thursday and half way across a lake(11 miles from home) I throw a stud threw the front heat exchanger. Blew all water out, 2 holes in it. Drag it home. Tear track, drive axle( bolt broke in it) and suspension out to get to the exchanger. Go to the hardware store for aluminum welding rods. Weld it up. Drill out broken lower gear bolt in axle. Fix that.

Bolt it all back together, Change upper gear since it was apart.

Rode 275 miles after that. Sled is good as new.

I was thinking my weekend was trashed. Turned out decent.

[attachment=58082]

Attachments

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is nearly a must here. The icey hills are a bear getting up if not near impossible with no studs.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
nice to hear, i had a few problems with the ol srx today but i hope to have it running for next weekend, but might be a delay on the cdi.

have fun for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Its nice to see that there are still guys out there can take matters into their own hands instead of giving all their hard earned money to a dealer so someone there who doesnt know the difference between a motorcylcle and a snowmobile can learn how to repair stuff on your dollar. Great job!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
nice sled

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Thats what I hate about studs, otherwise they provide great traction.

I've found that if its very icy out, you shouldn't be riding anyway.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by XCRacer440
[br]I've found that if its very icy out, you shouldn't be riding anyway.
If that was the case, I would not ride at all. It is an all ice base, after the rain we got in early january.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya it don't look the prittyest but it don't leak. How many people are going to get on their knees and look at my heat exchanger.

Yes it doesn't look as good as the nice straight lines that was there before but I don't care. Crap happens.

I was not going to pull the motor the remove it and get a new one when alittle tack weld here and it's done.

The weld looks as good as the duck crap that the welder did on the side when they made the peice.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
that sucks but atleast you got to still ride.

i blew a crank on friday and had it fixed saturday for a 130 mile ride

1 - 11 of 11 Posts