Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 XCSP 700 and I have an issue with there being to little ski pressure, and I have 144 studs so my rear hook up is almost to much, and I do weigh 315 so there is plenty of weight in the rear. I thought it would work to move the rear skid frame bolt to the bottom hole, but when I read my latest edition of SnowGoer they list 9 mistakes of the garage mechanice and #9 says moving your the skid to the bottom bolt. I am wondering if it will cause issues I did not think of. I want it because it gives me extra clearence for my studs and it should give me better ski pressure. Is there something I over looked? Please let me know, I have yet to retension the track. Or are there better ways to move the weight transfer to the front?[:p]

·
Registered
404 Posts
Don't own an Edge myself, but it should be kinda similar to an XTRA-10. The reason moving the suspension to the lower hole is a problem is the fact that you are changing the attack angle of the suspension and putting more weight on the rear arm of the skid instead of distributing it equally along the rail. Yes, when you are sitting on it, it will flatten the rear out and it will look fine, but it will also put a lot more stress on the torsion springs. Also, it will increase ground clearance, which can cause the sled to be more tippy for on trail riding. It does, however, improve deep snow performance, and when the snow is that deep, stability really doesn't matter, as the skis aren't resting on anything solid anyway. To improve ski pressure, turn down the front torque arm spring preload adjuster and/or turn up the preload adjusters for the ski springs.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Something that will help is to move your track blocks forward and adjust so that they are at full adjustment.If you havent already you can tighten up the rear and front rear springs.Also you could tighten down the limiter straps,if you didnt already.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I agree with all the above posts. I will just add, that in your situation, I think moving the rear mounting location to the bottom hole would be okay. You are trying to get more ski pressure. And you weigh a lot. I am just guessing that you may even want more preload on the torsion springs.

I think the mistake most people make is moving it to the bottom bolt because they think they want the machine to sit higher, or think it would make it ride better. In most instances that is the wrong solution. I have not read the SnowGoer article, but I am guessing your problem does not fit the context of they are trying to say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I bought the seld I also put in the heavy torsion spring becuase of my size. I also have the front sprins perloaded pretty good, I have only one hole left to adjust the limiter strap tighter. Which way do I want to preload my front shock on the skid?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Judging by how you currently have the machine set up, I would say either move the rear mounting to the lower hole, or move the front mounting to the next hole up.

Less preload on the front track shock will give you more ski pressure. You will have to decide if that is what you want to do, based on how the machine rides currently, and your weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts