Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot of people talk about balancing the P-85 on the Liberty 900's. Is it really that critical? Does anyone know of a shop in SE Wisconsin that does it?

·
Registered
463 Posts
i balanced the primary on my 900 switchback and it made a BIG difference, my buddies did also, 900 fusion, and another 900 switchback and it smoothed thier sleds out a bunch aswell! i would recommend getting the clutch balanced! keep in mind that you NEED to set your belt to sheave side clearence before you get the clutch balanced, because adding and removing shims will ruin your balance job!

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=179 check this out TOOONs of info on the 900 poos

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
danoxcr600 said:
i balanced the primary on my 900 switchback and it made a BIG difference, my buddies did also, 900 fusion, and another 900 switchback and it smoothed thier sleds out a bunch aswell! i would recommend getting the clutch balanced! keep in mind that you NEED to set your belt to sheave side clearence before you get the clutch balanced, because adding and removing shims will ruin your balance job!

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=179 check this out TOOONs of info on the 900 poos
I bet it makes a HUGE difference on the 900s. But I disagree with what you said about the re-shimming throwing out your balance. The center hub/fixed sheave should be balanced by itself. Then the rest of the assembly (moveable, spyder, cover) is installed and balanced, and weight should ONLY be removed from the cover during the secondary balance. This way both parts of the assy have their own independent balance and you can change their orientation relative to each other and never be out of balance. Just like how the sheaves of a secondary clutch are balanced independently, so as they shift out and change their relative angle to each other, your never out of balance.
Granted, Im sure not everyone does their balancing this way. But this if you do it this way, a clutch can be re-shimmed without having to be rebalanced.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i had both clutches rebalanced and really didnt notice any difference in the seat. i did it more of a performance thing. like facing the sheaves on a lathe or cutting a primary to give more overshift.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks you guys. I just dropped IndyDan an email!!!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:

This past weekend was the first time I rode the sled with the balanced clutch and WOW, what a difference! WAYYYY smoother! CRITICAL ON EVERY POLARIS BIG BORE(IMO)!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts