Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think its so cool to find something that has been lost and forgoten for so long then found years later.Has anyone had any great expeiriences with barn finds?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Found my first sled behind a barn 1971 johnson 440 wish I had pics of it.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Found a 1976 Yamaha GP 300 for $100 and that was my first sled. Rebuilt the motor using old parts and it blew up after moving a few feet. Next one was a 1988 Yamaha Inviter 300 for $75. Put another $75 into it and she went a solid 750 miles or so before I got rid of it.

Then my dad found a 1979 Formula 23' Cuddy Cabin boat. Had a 350 chevy with edelbrock heads, intake, and a holly 4 barrel carb. My dad got it for free and cleaned her out then put a new battery and starter in, fired right up! Had been sitting since the mid 80's wrapped in tarps and mothballs. It was super dusty and the trailer tires were gone. Seats also had a little dry rot cracks. But for free, ( plus a few hundred dollars ) to have a 300hp 23' Cuddy Cabin boat, that's not bad at all!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
A couple weeks ago I saw this old Kawasaki Sno Jet parked in front of this guys house down this old gravel road a couple miles from my place. I stopped and went up and knocked on the door to see if it was for sale. It was not for sale it was his sons machine.
We got talking and he told me he had an old snowmobile out in his barn that he did not ride any more. I went out and had a look with him. It was behind some farm equipment and a few boxes were around it. It was an old Rupp that looked to be in pretty good shape. I told him to get a hold of me if he would consider selling it. Have not heard from him yet. I may have to remind him:)

I do agree, it is fun to find old things like that which have been set asside and forgotten about for years.

srx_600 said:
Discovered this a few years back, still sitting there though..

70506.jpg

70276.jpg
Nice find! Sorta' reminds me of the Rupp that I'm hoping the "old farmer" will sell me cheap.

·
Registered
669 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
A couple weeks ago I saw this old Kawasaki Sno Jet parked in front of this guys house down this old gravel road a couple miles from my place. I stopped and went up and knocked on the door to see if it was for sale. It was not for sale it was his sons machine.
We got talking and he told me he had an old snowmobile out in his barn that he did not ride any more. I went out and had a look with him. It was behind some farm equipment and a few boxes were around it. It was an old Rupp that looked to be in pretty good shape. I told him to get a hold of me if he would consider selling it. Have not heard from him yet. I may have to remind him:)

I do agree, it is fun to find old things like that which have been set asside and forgotten about for years.

srx_600 said:

70506.jpg

70276.jpg
Nice find! Sorta' reminds me of the Rupp that I'm hoping the "old farmer" will sell me cheap.
Hey trick, how do you initiate a conversatin like that? not knowing who owns the maching or anything like that. Theres a truck a little while up the road from me that has been sitting for some time now not moved and its just what i want. z71 reg cab, short box, but i dont know what i should say to the guy. Who owns the truck? want to sell it? hahaha
Hes also got a late 90s doo sitting behind the truck [thumb]

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
MX4life said:
TRICKPaint said:

srx_600 said:

70506.jpg

70276.jpg
Hey trick, how do you initiate a conversatin like that? not knowing who owns the maching or anything like that. Theres a truck a little while up the road from me that has been sitting for some time now not moved and its just what i want. z71 reg cab, short box, but i dont know what i should say to the guy. Who owns the truck? want to sell it? hahaha
Just be as polite as you can and just tell him you could not help but notice the said vehicle. Then I would say "I don't know if you would ever be interested in parting with it, but I would be interested in it if so." (or something like that) If he's not sure, give him a paper with your name and number on it.
That is pretty much how I handled it and we ended up having a pretty nice talk.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I guess you could call it a barn find but there was a 1978 ski-doo olympique sitting in my barn that was a friend of ours that was under a cover. we had been storing it for something like 20 years when i finally decided t fix it up but it turned out that it was a mint sled with only 2000 miles on it and not a spot of rust, not to mention it started in 5 pulls. i had been riding a rusty unreliable 1979 olympique for about 3 years while this one was parked behind it the whole time. it now has around 6000 miles and still runs great, il get some up to date picks of it on here

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
skiwhizlover said:
I guess you could call it a barn find but there was a 1978 ski-doo olympique sitting in my barn that was a friend of ours that was under a cover. we had been storing it for something like 20 years when i finally decided t fix it up but it turned out that it was a mint sled with only 2000 miles on it and not a spot of rust, not to mention it started in 5 pulls. i had been riding a rusty unreliable 1979 olympique for about 3 years while this one was parked behind it the whole time. it now has around 6000 miles and still runs great, il get some up to date picks of it on here
I guess he said you could have it? or you are storing it and just keeping it running for him?;)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I found a few things, old enduro, and an old three wheeler, and a pedal moped, i broke all three in the same hour, trying to backflip them into my aunts pond lol it was good fun and it only cost 5 dollars to get them all running.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
srxkid said:
found an 83 vmax 540 in a barn covered with dust and bird shit 201069183543174_20245.jpg
I had an '83 SRV. It was a good machine for when they were made. The SRV was also a 540. What was different between the two sleds?

·
Registered
232 Posts
My buddy and I found these two jems in the bush (about an hour north of Hearst On.) One is a 63? Snow Bug and a '67 Viking MK1. Not in the barn but still a find!

201061865420296_19399.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
EarnhardtNorth said:
My buddy and I found these two jems in the bush (about an hour north of Hearst On.) One is a 63? Snow Bug and a '67 Viking MK1. Not in the barn but still a find!

you gonna restore them?

·
Registered
35 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
skiwhizlover said:
I guess he said you could have it? or you are storing it and just keeping it running for him?;)
nah shes mine now he gave it to me about 4 or 5 seasons ago now and is still used quiet frequently works as a god ice fishing sled

·
Registered
669 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
MX4life said:
TRICKPaint said:

srx_600 said:

70506.jpg

70276.jpg
Just be as polite as you can and just tell him you could not help but notice the said vehicle. Then I would say "I don't know if you would ever be interested in parting with it, but I would be interested in it if so." (or something like that) If he's not sure, give him a paper with your name and number on it.
That is pretty much how I handled it and we ended up having a pretty nice talk.
i talked to the guy, turns out he wants way more then i am willing to pay for a truck of that age but ohh well, better luck next time!

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
fox440 said:
EarnhardtNorth said:

you gonna restore them?
Yeah that's the plan. My buddy wants the Snow Bug done for this winter, but I have a '59 and a '63 I want to do before I look at the viking.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts