Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at buying a new beacon this year can any of you recommend one brand in perticular to buy?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i was thinking of getting i had a tracker dts but i am letting some one in my family use it this year

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I have a DTS Tracker. No complaints.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I also have a DTS Tracker. I've never used it for real rescue (which is a good thing), but it's simple to use when we've been practicing.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Same here, tracker DTS at this time. I have done a bit of research as I may replace mine and it appears that the Mammut Pulse is another real good beacon. easy to use, etc. just heard that it may not be as compatible with older beacons. anyone comments on the Mammut??

play hard, play safe!!

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
BCA Tracker DTS here. Reasonably priced and simple to use.

Here is what Mike Duffy recommends, if it's of any interest. For those of you who may not know him, he teaches avalanche classes based on a snowmobilers perspective. I went to one last year and found it very informative.

Avalanche Beacons
What to look for: Proven design, durable and easy to use. Most people do not practice enough with their beacons and when you really use it in a rescue situation, you’re usually not in the calmest state of mind. Get the beacon that is easy to use.
1. Backcountry Access Tracker 2 $335.99
2. Barryvox Pulse $449.99
3. Pieps DSP $449.99
4. Ortovox S1 $499.00

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I have a ortovox s1 seems to be great. I have not actually got to use it. It was given to me last year as my dad and his work did a sled trip from bc to manitoba and all had to wear beacons. So when the trip was done he handed me his and said work will never miss it. I have read review on it and was actually looking to buy one at the time and any of the choice listed above all seem to be great beacons.

dont focus on price so much as ease of use. Remember if you ever have to use one you will have some ones life depending on you so ease of use ranks high for me.

cheers

also the ortovox f1 seems to be another good choice

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
I've got the Ortovox F1.

That being said though,
I think it's far more important that you practice with what ever brand you get, than the brand name it's self.
carry a probe and shovel.
Get good and comfortable with the whole process.
Take an avi class or 2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts