Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am still trying to take my jack shaft off.

Here is where I am.

1) Got the suspension out
2) Removed all three flange nuts off the clutch side
3) Removed all the bolts holding the chain case and brake assembly

I cannot remove the shaft from the chain case, too tight, I don't want to break anything. Also I cannot remove the bearing off the clutch side.

Is it pressed on? Any suggestions on how to take it off the shaft?

Thanks,

CD

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
there should be 2 allen head set screws on the bearing on the back side of it i believe remove those two set screws and it will come out easily

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only allen screw was on the collar. Cannot see any on the bearing. According to the manual, it just comes off!!

CD

·
Registered
608 Posts
The collar is like a cam to hold the bearing in place. If the collar is off than the bearing should come off. If it is frozen on (this is likely) Than you will need to heat it up. There is only the one bolt holding the the sprocket on and it should slide out.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
What kind of sled is it and what year. Either way it should come out through the clutch side by using a hammer to tap it on the chaincase side. You should be able to get the bearing off with a press when you get the shaft out.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by Indy triple
[br]The only allen screw was on the collar. Cannot see any on the bearing. According to the manual, it just comes off!!

CD
Did you rotate the collar off of the bearing after loosening the set screw like zackattack mentioned? If you look at the collar you should be able to see which way they tapped it to snug it up, just tap it the other way. Unless this is already done?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Indy Triple the bearing on the clutch side should be a nice tight fit. That is what you want. It may take a little bit to get the bearing off the shaft. The shaft is not pressed into the bearing. The tighter the bearing fits on the shaft the better off you will be. With the kind of bearing you have. If it is a loose fit on the shaft when you tighten the lock collar it will cock the bearing and the bearing will not last as long as it should. It will actually brake the lock collar off the bearing. Then you will hear a clicking sound when you are driving the sled. Lube the shaft so when you get the bearing to start moving it will slide off a little easier. God luck Riley

·
Registered
266 Posts
I notice tha you said you removed the chain case and brake bolts and I'm not sure why.It does'nt say so i'll ask. Did you take the gear off the end of the shaft. Also the camlocked bearing should be locked in the clockwise direction when facing the cam side of the bearing.There is a small drilled hole on the camlock, use a spanner in that hole to loosen it or tap there with a drift in the counter clockwise direction.If it was taken apart before, the cam may be locked the opposite way so be careful!!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got it off. Thanks for the help. The bearing was oxydized to the shaft. It appears it had never been changed.

I made a mess of the bearing, so I will need a new one. Is there anything I have to be carefull of when I put the shaft back in?

Thanks

CD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts