Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered two 6206 bearings, and I received these that only have seals on one side. Is it possible these are defective or just wrong?
[attachment=52275]

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
they are not defective. Some come with seals, which could be plastic, metal, one side or both or none. It all depends on the #'s or letters following the 6206.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I know all the 6205 bearings ive seen had seals on both sides...Those are commonly ran in your chaincase bearings.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the seals off the old bearings, cleaned them up a bit, and put them on the new ones..Problem solved!!!

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
You lubed it up I assume with some good grease?

While we're on the topic of bearings does anyone know the NTN number for the bearings that run in the idler wheels?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]You lubed it up I assume with some good grease?

While we're on the topic of bearings does anyone know the NTN number for the bearings that run in the idler wheels?
My 96 Xlt takes 6205-2rs

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The bearing shown in above photo would be ok for inside the chaincase but pretty much worthless anywhere else. Someone mentioned the 2RS designation to indicate two seals. He is correct.

Bearing Facts:

Z - a single shield on one side

ZZ - a single shield on both sides

RS - a single seal on one side

2RS - a single seal on both sides

650 Indy - The only Polaris bearing sizes I know of are 6205 2RS which is a 1/2" wide, 2" OD bearing for a 1" shaft. I believe all your idler and bogie wheels are going to use this bearing. For sure the idlers and wheels inside the skid. The later skids uses the 6205 bearing everywhere in the skid accept the rear shaft which takes a 6004 bearing. Its narrower, smaller od and fits an 11/16" shaft. Exactly why they did this, I have no idea. Seems a step backwards to me. Dont buy NTN bearings unless you have a source to get them cheap. Ive seen bearings with stainless housings going for FAR less money than the stealer wants for stock carbon steel NTN bearings. I have used Snowball bearings for the last couple years with no problems so far. Watch e-bay, you can get a whole lot 12 bearings for under 50.00 shipped. I buy in the summertime.

·
Registered
985 Posts
^^ correct on the designations, but i should add that the RS stands for Rubber seal. you can get it with a rubber seal or a steel shield. just wanted to clarify.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by polaris1
[br]

My 96 Xlt takes 6205-2rs
That should be correct fro your '91, except for the two wheels that carry the track over the rear torque arm. The earlier suspensions had those cheapy wheels there with different bearings. I want to type the number I think it is, but I am not sure, so maybe somebody else knows.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Originally posted by Rainman
[br]I took the seals off the old bearings, cleaned them up a bit, and put them on the new ones..Problem solved!!!
In the future, check out www.mcmastercarr.com and see what they have to say about bearings, they have a good explanation about seals and what not.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
in the process myself on the ultra ,just went to the local NAPA store one was 22 dollars a piece the other made over seas was 6 dollars ,so guess what one i bought? you guessed the cheap ones ,if you pop the seal out both have very little grease in them ,and in the chain case it also has a double sealed bearing

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ski-Doo-Yahama-Polaris-bearings-6205_W0QQitemZ110066384767QQihZ001QQcategoryZ100449QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here is another seller

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFORMANCE-POLARIS-WHEEL-BEARING-KIT-ALL-11-BEARINGS_W0QQitemZ160063230602QQihZ006QQcategoryZ100449QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ShippingPayment

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just bought a ten pack of 6205 bearings for my 93' 440 polaris, from Royal distributing,
a ten pack costs $33.95 Canadian.
Going to put them in tonight since they came in the mail today.

·
Registered
506 Posts
if your import bearing is made in japan ok. If it is china save some time and just throw it in the trash and leave the old ones in. They won't make it a season. Buy ntn blue they are cheaper than the napa bearings. I think like $25 for a 4 pack. I believe the rear wheels are 6004-2rs and the other rail idlers are 6205-2rs on newer polaris.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The ten pack tarantumtwister bought are NTN with the low temp grease but without the signature blue seal. OEM doesn't pay for colored seals why should you. (except for orange sealed 6203's some Polaris had) Never buy Chinese anything!!!!

Even if your sled came with one seal for outside, the preferred chaincase replacement is two seals and synthetic lube.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The bearing came with grease from NTN. I am going to use that, since it is a Formula bearing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts