Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI... I was parked with my wife at a restaurant on Saturday evening when some idot whose name I will not mention slammed into the side of my wifes sled. He was drunker than a skunk and thought it was funny!!!!!! For those of you who thinks its funny to get drunk and blaze the trails at 70 mph think about how you will feel knowing the rest of your life you killed someone. I am grateful my wife wasn't on the sled and the only damage done was to the rail and a dent to the tunnel. I wouldn't take his money and I called the cops and the rest was up to them. THIS IDIOT SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ON THE TRAIL AND NEIHER SHOULD YOU IF YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING!!

ENUFF SAID!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Don't think you'll get any argument on site with that logic.

I still can't figure out how anyone can grab a handful after drinking enough to be impaired. Just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I would have taken his money, kicked the crap out of him, and then called the cops...

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is one topic that not many will argue with, also one with too many stories. i knew a guy whom it didn't bother to drink and drive, until one night he and some friends were out on the sleds having a great time, right up until they all came around the corner(at full throttle) where a ride program was on the trail. Well, being as drunk as he was, he hit one of the officers, almost killing him. The officer lived but the trailing arm of the bombi sheered his leg clean off. One of the other riders wrote off his sled and a cruiser. Today, he doesn't ride anymore, and lives knowing he's a total dumbass without an excuse.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah my wife wanted me to take his money but I wanted no part of him.. I think he was shocked when I called the cops anyway.. I really don't even know what happened after that.

If anyone has an ideas for pulling the dent out of the side of a tunnel let me know.. I was able to bend the rail down with a pipe wrench...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here in Maine we have had 8 fatal snowsled accidents, and more than half of them have been related to drunk riders. So far they have only killed themselves, but I'm sure it will happen soon they will hit some one just out enjoying themselves before the seasons over.
Stay safe and stay right!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Totally agree, it is just suicide!

and sledhead, at a certain age I found out you just can't kick the crap out of everybody for everything, can now lose to much in a lawsuits. but if I was under 18 and someone hit my sled, Royal butt whoopin' time! LOL

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
RIGHT ON!!! AK has enough deaths by sleds that drinking and sledding should never be a factor...yet every year it is! I've got 3 youngans sledding in between us (wife & I)...so lets just say I CERTAINLY agree!!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree with the above comment took his money then call the cops !! With people like him they endanger the lifes of not only them selfs but , everyone else on the trail. You would think they would have some common sense and think of someone besides themselfs DRUNK SLED DRIVER THAT DAY NEEDED A ASS KICKING!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sledding drunk is fun.................NOT.

Should have kicked the crap out taken his money and sled and then called the cops.

KB

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Originally posted by j-2-800
[br]Totally agree, it is just suicide!

and sledhead, at a certain age I found out you just can't kick the crap out of everybody for everything, can now lose to much in a lawsuits. but if I was under 18 and someone hit my sled, Royal butt whoopin' time! LOL
Hey but if you were to kick the crap out someone that would have been the perfect time... He was drunk, and all those bruses were from when he smashed into my sled... It just shows how hard him must have hit it... [:D]

·
Registered
366 Posts
hey every one loves a good drink. But save it for after the riding is over. My friends and I are very strict about that. It might have something to do with my friend being in a wheelchair. Drive safe drive sober!!!

Rich

·
Registered
246 Posts
I quit going to the Artic Man Race because you get between 3000 and 5000 snowmachiners every year. We used to park by the lodge and would hear people come out of the bar or the beer tent, jump on there machines and take off up the hills for a night ride.

What ended it for me was when I was helping a friend train for the race, he runs the skiing part, and we were running up the canyon and this drunk went between me and my friend that I was towing, the rope is only 20 feet long. It was a lucky that my friend saw this guy at the last second and ditched the rope but the handle hooked on his machine and damn near fliped me and riped my bumper half off. His machine did end up in a ball as it went sideways and fliped over and over. The other rider was hurt bad broken leg, broken arm, and brused all over. It was probly a good thing that he was hurt because my friend does have a bit of a temper and was going the kick the hell out of the guy until we saw how bad he was hurt.

Nobody should ever drink and operate ANYTHING with a motor!

·
Registered
258 Posts
You know if iv'e said it once...iv'e said it a million times...snowmobiles don't kill people...people kill people. I feel the same about gun laws as well. Anyway..if you can't act accordingly on the trail and RESPECT and realize that other people are around you enjoyning the sport for what it is, STAY HOME! so you don't give the sport a bad name or wind up killing someone who is out enjoying the sport with their family and friends.

Ride hard...but stay in control and be aware of your surroundings. (words or wisdom)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
ha for a second i thought you were talkn about booze.. hehe[:D]

last weekend this guy came out of the bar trashed when we were walkn to the restaruant and was like "hhhave you guys ssseeen my bbuddys???"
then began to ask us where the trail was.. of course he was right in the middle of it and so we told him and he proceded to can it and almost run us all over.. dumb idiot.. we will never know what happend to him but hopefully he made it safe to wherever he was heading.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When drinking an incident does not arise from the use of a bad thing but the abuse of a good thing. The guy that hit your machine is an idiot. I see it everyday. We have a club at my hotel and there could be anywhere from 10 to 60 machines parked outside. We have a designated driver program and we cut people off but it is something that people just need to take into their own hands and grow up. Boozin & cruizin don't mix. However after a ride, God there's nothing better than good 'ol CC.

Re you tunnel: The rubber mallot is a proven method!, but be careful. a rubber deadblow mallot can leave small dents from beating out a bigger dent. If you beat it out i suggest you put a peice of teflon or wood between your tunnel & Hammer. If you don't mind a small hole in you tunnel, you can drill one, put a Bolt through, thread nut and pull the dent out. It works well if your dent is in a spot that you can't beat on. good luck.[/font=Stencil][/font=Arial][green][/green][8D]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Last year there were 33 fatalities in all of Michigan. 22 of the fatalities involved alcohol. Go to the following site and go to the PDF file at the bottom of the page to see the official report. http://www.fishweb.com/recreation/snowmobile/trails/trails1.html

I'm from WI and almost 40, so I remember snowmobiling back in the 70's. At that time all the trails connected bar to bar and the clubs were run by the bars/taverns. So the folks would drive 3 miles to one bar, have a drink or two, go to the next 3 or 4 miles away, socialize there, then slide home. Trail speeds were very slow, plus you got the _hit beat out of you if you tried to go any faster since the sleds had no suspension to speak of. Yes, there were still accidents, but the sleds did not approach the horse power or false sense of stability that the new ones give you. I am not saying it was OK to booze and cruize then, but I think it compares to driving an old VW beetle after a drink to driving Porshe after a drink.

Now, as far as I can tell trails are run by folks that just love the sport and are somewhat more educated to the dangers. It is just too bad that some folks still think that there weekend on the trails needs to include alcohol.

Leave the sled at home/motel, take the car/truck to the bar, have one person that does not drink do the driving. You can then get fall down drunk[xx(], go back to the hotel, sleep till noon[|)], and then hit the trails in the late afternoon. That way I can enjoy the freshly groomed trails as you sleep off the hangover.[:)]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts