Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XC700 got quite warm and began to melt/distort the belly pan just under the cowling lip at the exhaust. It looks like the bracket that is attached to the wall got very hot. Temp light did not come on and no other probs. Anyone have similar experiences or suggestions?
At the time I was running 2 people at 20/25mph.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
How long did you drive like that, and what was the temperature outside.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I dont know, could you smell burning, like the smell of a burning belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't smell anything, after we stopped for a break I noticed the disfiguration and the touched it(external side) with a bare hand and it was ^%$%$#&^ hot!!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
What was it the bellypan, or a bellypan cover that melted.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Check the chain case. I hit a railway track once and the oil in the case leaked out over the next hour. The chain got so loose that it was making an odd sound. When I stopped and lifted the hood the light snow that was falling was sizzling when it hit the chain case. That heat also transfered to belly pan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem area was 4" long by 1" high , just under the lip(moulding) that the cowling closes into, on the exhaust side.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Hmm.My xcr 600 did that to but I got a hole in my heat exchanger and it heated and melted that same spot..Was their heat foil over the plastic..I dont know what would cause that..

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
ok i think the area you're talking about is the belly pan near the canister or where the pipe goes into the can? Probably just buy some heat reflective tape. And are you sure the pipe hasn't shifted over just a bit (busted spring?)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Check your plug color to make sure your not running too lean. Lean = hot = meltdown.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Seems this was a common problem. Polaris sells a heat shield kit.Found this one on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26354&item=1987809375

1 - 14 of 14 Posts