Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my srx 99 700 i put a new belt in and it doesnt sit an eith of an inch above the sheath its even with it should this be like that

·
Registered
777 Posts
wont effect your top speed .,but youll have a slight bog on take off due to much belt deflection,meaning your belt will climb up the primary before it actually engages, also higher engagenent rpm ,,which is like take off in 2 nd gear,to fix it pull a spacer out off the secondary to closes the sheaves,it will work the way it is,and this is assuming your center to center distance is right,and right belt

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well its the right belt but i didnt mention that it is a bender racing clutch do you think it will still have spacers and it also has 4000 miles on it

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah sorry, I guess I got that backwards. Xc Special got it right. Anyways, I'm not familier with the Bender racing clutch. But on the standard secondary, if you pull it apart, you'll find there are some thin washers in the center of it. If you took one or two of them out, the sheaves will close tighter on the belt and thus force the belt up hight in the secondary. The Bender clutch must have something similar to this. Some way to adjust belt height (deflection).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what would cause the belt not to sit up high in the first place? its a new belt... is something worn out or what? and how do i go about taking the secondary out?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Did you change brands of belt? There are sometimes suttle differences between brands. Are your clutches aligned properly (center to center and offset)?

To pull the secondary, simply clamp on the brakes to keep it from spinning, then take the bolt off that holds it in place (be sure to not lose any of the washers that MAY be on the head of the bolt). After that you should be able to slide the secondary off the jack shaft.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah it was an original belt from yamaha and i put a genaric belt on that was made for my machineit doesnt sit all the way up but it sits level with the sheath the old one was about an eigth of an inch below. so i should probably get a little better proformance then right?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Better performance with the belt that sits 1/8 in above the secondary sheaves........yes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts