Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wondering if anyone has used a belt driven turbo system on thier snowmobile before or have any links. i DONT mean a supercharger, it is a turbo instead of spooled by exhaust it is by a belt off the crankshaft.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
that would be a supercharger
a turbo is a turbine driven by exahust gases, which is attached to another turbine in a compressor...therefore a turbo
a supercharger uses the rotational motion created by the crankshaft to spin either two screws or a sort of turbine, hence a supercharger.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have considered running a supercharger off of my belt drive. Superchargers are mechanically powered as stated above and turbos are powered by the exhaust. The supercharger is going to be instantaneous power but it also robs HP to make HP. A turbo will take a second to spool up (turbo lag) but doesn't rob any HP and generally makes more power. I Have considered running a turbine off my belt drive that replaces my chain drive. Just don't have the cash.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
you mean a leaf blower? lol jk. A while back RMK-King posted an electric powered super/turbocharger that would run at a consistent 4 lbs of boost i think.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Originally posted by 88400
[br]I believe he is thinking a centrifugal supercharger, where the compressor side looks like that of a turbo, rather than a root style blower.
Yup I am sure that is what he is thinking.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive seen them on cars tho, it might be the centrifugal supercharger, but it runs the exact same setup as a turbo, il try to find a link and post one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.