Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a major belt blowing issue.My dad has an 01 800 xc with the same clutch set up so i measured distances to clutches and they are the same and he doesnt have any problem with blowing belts. i rebuild clutches, but still when i take it out and hold it over 7500 rpm for any length of time the belt gernades. i saw a clutch alignment tool for $170 that hooks to your clutch and bolts to the jackshaft but if there is a cheaper way to get alignment that would be great. also what else would cause this besides alignment? i`ld like to blame it on bad belts. i blew 3 in 100 miles..... any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'd say it is an alignment issue, rather then buy the tool do you have a dealer near you that could check it for you, would be cheaper then $170, or even better maybe they will rent it to ya for a couple of hours or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just cause i compared it to a twin sled and it was the same i thought maybe something else... you need a tool to check deflection to i bet?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
More than likely alignment issue, getting it checked out and fixed will be way cheeper than blowing belts.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, broken motor mount. After I had it welded up never blow a belt. Grab your drive clutch and lift up on it, if it moves your have a broken mount and need it fix, if not then you have the alignment issue that everyone else had mentioned.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Motor mount, alignment issue or too low of gearing.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
landon.lipinski said:
to low of gearing??? how would that cause belts to blow? it is geared very low. top speed maybe 85 mph....
torque... if ur geared low it has much more power hence why you have a low top speed, but i dont think you would have a problem blowing belts because of it, unless you have a ton of picks in it... then i could see that.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
If you're geared really low and the clutches are completely shifted out(at top speed), the belt can reach the top of the primary and blow. It's not very common but it does happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the Alignment tool and clutches are perfect. i took the clutch off dad 01 800 and ran the whole day and never blew the belt. i put one of those kevlar belts on as well. it seemed to run alot cooler but i`m scared to hold it open for to long. but when i did hold it open it seemed ok and i checked the belt after and it seemed to be running cool. if i have the wrong weights and spring could it cause the belt to come up to high in my primary and blow?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts