Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know why the cover will not clear the engine shroud?
the motor is a 1988 488 fan and the only way to open the belt guard is to lift it about 1 inch and then bend / twist it out from under the engine shroud. The cover was off when we got the machine and a long nail was in the mounted half of the hinge.
Is there not any hinges on this style? only pins front and back?
I tried to look for good pic's but 488 fans are not that popular...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
71rdrnr said:
the motor is a 1988 488 fan and the only way to open the belt guard is to lift it about 1 inch and then bend / twist it out from under the engine shroud. The cover was off when we got the machine and a long nail was in the mounted half of the hinge.
I got one sitting outside right now, its a 82 but might be the same. I'll check it out in the morning.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ArcticCatZR800 said:
71rdrnr said:
I got one sitting outside right now, its a 82 but might be the same. I'll check it out in the morning.
Thanks let me know and if by chance you can get me a pic, that would also be great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an 89 Trail that is exactly the same way.
Not the best design eh?
I powder coated the engine and belt covers and they still got scratched, if I recall mine has "clips" on both ends but I'm usually too lazy to pull them both.
have fun!
Jeff

·
Registered
66 Posts
Those models used a large clip toward the front of the chassis and the standard clip toward the rear. I don't think that I have a spare or I'd send you one.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If it's the same i'll take some pics, if not I'm gonna start a thread on it anyways, hoping to revive it out out its 15+ year sleep.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
71rdrnr said:
I tried to look for good pic's but [highlight=yellow]488 fans are not that popular...[/highlight=yellow]
That might be one of the most false statements I have ever seen

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
my 86 fanner is exactly the same.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
71rdrnr said:
I tried to look for good pic's but [highlight=yellow]488 fans are not that popular...[/highlight=yellow]
That might be one of the most false statements I have ever seen
I was not trying to offend anyone with my statement. I know that polaris made tonnes of these sleds, I just had a hard time to find any good pic's in the gallery.

When you guys are saying that yours is the same, you do mean

"Those models used a large clip toward the front of the chassis and the standard clip toward the rear. I don't think that I have a spare or I'd send you one."

Correct?
And thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Wasn't the same.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the 488 engine (1986 and newer) differs from the 440 (pre-86) because the hot air exhausted out to the clutch side from the engine shroud whereas the 440 engine exhausted out the top at the rear of the shroud. The 440 engine clutch cover was hinged at the front.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anybody know where I can find this front pin? Aftermarket or Dealer only?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm in the process of rebuilding one of those chassis for the grandkids and had another in the shop as a parts machine, which I have totally stripped down. Can't recall if it had a pin but I'll check in the morning

1 - 15 of 15 Posts