Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This is my first post here but Iv'e been reading these forums for a while to get answers to my questions.
I ride a 2004 Polaris Indy and on the weekend ride that saw a couple of jaunts up to 85-90 mph.
On my way back it felt like a skip in the gear train but on further investigation I saw the inside cogs had left the belt for about 8"
Iv'e included a picture. I went out the next day with a spare belt and after about 60 miles I felt the skip again, checked the belt and lo and behold about four inches of cogs had gone.Is it the secondary clutch bottoming out?
Thanks a lot guys, keep on sledding Broken Belt.jpg

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Belts that are several years old can do that, even if they aren't used.

If it's doing that to new belts, I'd check the clutch shimming.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Have you done any clutching to it? Team or button secondary? Ive seen that happen when not putting enough shims behind the helix when running a narrow belt with a R series helix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you done any clutching to it? Team or button secondary? Ive seen that happen when not putting enough shims behind the helix when running a narrow belt with a R series helix.
No I haven't touched anything and it didn't blow a belt all last season. Would you know where to get the specs so I can measure everything and make sure that is isn't out of alignment?
Thanks for your help guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts