Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this 81 everest 500 for my son and danmed if I can't get the belt off! There is a small bolt in the enfd of the big pulley and when removed the pulley slides out easily but the side of the body is too close to allow it to come right off. do I force it or is there another way?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Easy belt removal tip...grap the belt on the top near the primary, then pull up and back.
This should open the sheaves on the secondary, hold down on the belt between the sheaves to keep them open, and you should be able to slip it off the primary clutch.
Good luck!

Oh yeah....welcome to TUSF.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, that didn't do it. The front pulley off the engine(primary? secondary?) is further apert than the width of the belt already. This could explain the high revs needed to get the sled rollin'. Perhaps need a new clutch? P.S. I am $155 bucks into this thing total so can do some without feelin' bad!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Paul the front pully should be apart and the belt should lay in the bottom. Spread the rear pully apart by turning it backwards. The belt should go down causing slack at the bottom. when ther is enough slack then grab the belt and remove it, hod onto the rear pully to keep it from pinching the belt.
Paul is there someone you know that lives close that has a snowmobile and can help you? Sounds like you are perty new at this......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gave that a try just now and the rear pulley wouldn't do anything, doesnt seem to want to spread. Was out with a guy last year in a field when he broke a belt on like a new Summit 600 or something like that, bright yellow anyways, and plunk, plunk, a new belt was on and we were going again but of course smart me didn't pay attention! So the rear pulley should have movement between the halves?

·
Registered
366 Posts
i usually grab theinside sheave of the secondary clutch. turn it towards the back that will open it up then give the belt a pull soit will hold the clutch open and it should be easy from there

Rich

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try to engage the brake. This will keep the secondary from moving. You should then be able to turn the inner sheave of the secondary clutch clockwise to open it and remove the belt from the secondary first then the primary.

The primary clutch is on the engine, the secondary is the larger one attached to the drive chain case (in newer machines by a jack shaft).

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I replaced the belt on my sled not too long ago and was having the same problems. Rotating the clutch counter-clockwise wasn't do enough to open the clutch to remove the belt. So I did the unthinkable...I consulted the owners manual...here's what it recommened, I did, and it took three seconds...

With one hand apply the brake. With the other grab the belt and pull backward (towards seat). The belt should just peel right off. I installed and removed the belt several times, just cause it was so easy.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got it! Stopped at the dealer and they said basically what youall hve said. Managed to spread the sheaves on the rear enough to roll the belt off the bottom, slipped the new one on kinda the same way, now since we live in the city it's off to the cousin's in the country, (not a pun, it's the truth!)Never thuoght of the brake, feel real intelligent now!

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
I'll explain it.

Yer startin off with somethin like this:

/polarisman/../images/users/Polaris-Man/beltremove1.jpg

You then grab the BACK clutch sheave, and rotate it clockwise, while pushing the belt down, and the sheave towards the airbox. This will cause it to open, and the belt will go down in the clutch.

/polarisman/../images/users/Polaris-Man/beltremove2.jpg

Once you accomplish this, hold the back sheave open with one hand, and with the other peel the belt out of the clutch.

/polarisman/../images/users/Polaris-Man/beltremove3.jpg

And voila, u have removed your belt.

/polarisman/../images/users/Polaris-Man/beltremove4.jpg

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
All belts I've ever changed have worked this way, I know you have a skidoo but the concept is the same. I would think anyway.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Geez did you just do that now?? What a nice guy you are! Thanks those picture helped me see what the heck you guys were talkin about...

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
lol, Yeah, I grabbed my bro and we ran outside and i made a little "how to"

A picture is worth 1000 words.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice job Pman. The trick is to just push as you turn on the secondary sheave. The belt will slip right over the secondary when its spread.

Don't give up. Once you figure it out you will laugh at how easy it is!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hahah right on Pman ,, talk about a guy on the ball, heheh good stuff nice quality on the pics to , looks like a 80lbs primary spring you got in there , ehheh

·
Registered
608 Posts
P-man That's no Pro-X! I'm guessing it's a 97-98 Trail. I would say a later year because it looks brand new, but I've seen older sleds that would pass for new. Just out of curiosity let me know. Oh by the way nice pictures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts