Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what is the proper belt size for a 96 XLT? Can you use different size belts for performance or should you just stick with the recommended size? I used a couple different size belts this weekend (having broken a couple) and couldn't really tell the difference except for idle rpm's and top speeds.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Why did you break 2 belts in 1 weekend? Something out of line? Phone your dealer and he should be able to tell you what size. Some people perfer Dayco...some perfer others perfer goodyear.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
hmmm, you may want to do like mrpolaris said, and i thing your primary& secondary clutches may be mis-aligned, if you are chewing belts up like you say, that just doesnt make any sense.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I had a problem with the track freezing up. We were in some really deep snow and if it took a while to dig the thing out with the track buried in snow i figured it was melting and then freezing inside the tunnel, but maybe it is the clutch alignment. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
on my 93 xlt, the number on the belt is:3211042, otherwise the recomended belt size is 1 3/8x 47 1/4 " this is for a DAYCO BELT/ GOODYEAR IS PART NUMBER 71177, and they state the size as 1 3/8x47 1/8, so you have a few choices, ive always had good luck with dayco belts-however your lookin at around 60 bucks pers belt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts