Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the discussions in a previous post, I was curious as to what everyone uses. Do you primarily use an OEM belt, or an aftermarket one? Why, and what experiences have you had regarding either.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i use oem only, i seem to get better wear with better performance, with the daycos i've had a lot of slipping and jerking from a dead stop ( alot of the same problems found in the earlier post)----jmo[:)]

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I haven't ever used a different brand belt. I have the one that came on my sled and a new polaris one so I will be using OEM for a while anyway.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i actually use an aftermarket belt. but its still an expensive one. i run black magic belts on my zr580 since i have the heart throb clutch kit on it

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Ok,all belts are made by a couple different manufacturers. When you buy an OEM belt, the OEM companies demands very close sizing tolerences. The aftermarket ones do not have as close of a tolerance, which means you may need to adjust your belt level in the clutch. The exception would be the Black Magic belts, which also have a sizing spec.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I know sizing is an issue but the durometer of the rubber in the belt is also an issue, along with the cord, and the cogs. I know that Yamaha makes 3 belts (maybe more) that are the same size but are for different sleds - 500/600/700, $38/$45/$59. Aftermarket Brand-X sells one belt that fits all 3 applications.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I agree totally. I use an exact OEM belt. I've noticed that the Dayco Ultimax last a bit longer but at the expense of performance (except for high HP sleds) most likely because it has a higher durometer rating. I like the OEM belt because of it's tremendous grip it offers, as well as tighter tolerances and the proper compound. I notice slightly better clutch response with the OEM. I can tell it's softer and stickier because they wear faster, but for my type of riding i want maximum performance out of my belt. I may have to replace them more often, but IMO it's worth it.

Now, if i had a 200+ hp sled, then i would probably go aftermarket.
Just my $.02

G

·
On my Ski doo I used OEM and got 1000 miles out of it.
On my Polaris I used OEM and got 1800 miles on it and it still has not given out yet.
On our Yamaha we only use aftermarket. Gates. they last really on it.

I did buy Gates replacemants for them both. Half the money. We'll see how they stand up.

Dennis

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
OEM. Cause the manufacturer has sized the belt for the engine/clutch package that came with your sled. JMO

·
Registered
425 Posts
Looks like something good has started with this topic. I think I will be buying a Ultimax 2 and an OEM Polaris belt. I already know the Ultimax 2 works well on my 96 xlt sp. It will be interesting to find out how the OEM and the Ultimax 2 compare. Anyone have any ideas on the price of an OEM Polaris belt?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
i use OEM there only $3 more around these parts

G

·
I started buying my belts at a bearing supply company. They sell all types and sizes of belts. While I was in there getting a bearing for my sled I asked about belts. No problem. I told him what I had and he looked it up and got me the belt. 1/2 the cost of the dealer. He sells Dayco and Gates. He recomended the Gates to me. I only used it for 200 miles so far but it seems to be working as good as the OEM. We'll see how long it lasts.

I also found out that most bearing can be had for about 1/2 the dealer cost also. The OEM bearing I need was only a sheilded bearing and I wanted a sealed bearing. The dealer didn't have one so that is how I ended up at a bearing sales shop for belts and bearings.

Dennis

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
OEM belts are made out of gold around here. for my 600 they're like $65 US. i change them annually and I ride 2,000 to 3,000 miles a year.

·
Registered
227 Posts
OEM, its cheaper at the snowshow.

All belts will wear better and last longer if you can remember to just keep it under 1/2 throttle for the first 1/4 mile. You need to build up some heat in it so it stretches evenly. The warmer the belt the less stress you put on it when you crack the throttle and go balls out. It takes a little disciple at the start of a ride.
j-2-800

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think the big problem you run into when switching between brands of belts is that you need to readjust your secondary clutch for each type because of those minor differences everyone is talking about. That's why I stick with OEM for the consistency of sizing. If you do switch belt brands buy 2 and use one for your spare so you are not switching back and forth between brands/sizes. Then once you have 2 identical belts tighten your secondary clutch till the belt squeals and then back it off just a little. You should also check side to side clearance in your primary to see if the new belt is different. Just .010 inch can make a big difference in ridability. My .02 anyway.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I used the same Gates Extreme belt all alst season for nearly 1500 miles off hilll climbin, off trail, deep powder rideing, and I towed a buddy sled for nearly 15 miles over hilly terrain... The beltis still looking and was preforming awsome on my last ride.

·
Registered
685 Posts
OEM belts for sure...

I think Dayco are cheap and wear out quickly...

u get what u pay for IMO....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts