Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying a Ski-doo formula deluxe 600, but the owner mentioned the tunnel is bent 1/4". What does this mean and will it cause any maintenance or performance problems?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well first of all where is it bent and is it bent in or out? And how close to the track is it? Becausse two of my friends tunnels were bent. One was lucky and rolled it and it only bent the running board so he just bent it back. The other one had to buy a new tunnel for a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Isn't it true that some of the ski-doo tunnels are weak. I've seen lots of people with bent and cracked tunnels on them from hard landings, or just landing wrong.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
only times I saw tunnels bent were when a 2002 XCR 800 had its tail flap sucked in the tunnel by the picks and bent the tunnel. And when a guy was rear ended by his son both of which were new to snowmobiling.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah they are pretty weak. My friend has a 99 MXZ 670 HO and last year he hit a culvert flipping his sled and him. He was laid up for a week. His sled wasn`t. The whole tunnel had been crushed. They seat sat were the running boards had been. The track pushed up and when it did it broke the bolts that hold it in. The tunnel was dragging on the ground. man that thing was bent. That wasn`t it the trailing arm and all the componets of the right front suspension had pushed the chaincase and footwell all the way back 2 feet from his bumper. That wasn`t it the sled was brand new just picked it up the day before. He was On his way to my place. He was out for the rest of the season. He ended up sitting from on his sled to laying in the middle of the road.

Damage:
Broken belly pan
Broke tie rod
Broken Radius rod
Broken Trailing arm
Bend and F****D up tunnel
Bent footwell
Broken chain
broken chaincase cover
broken sprockets
Bent front right side shock
Bent rear shocks
And many more bent pieces in the rear suspension.

It was a really insane crash. Sorry didn`t get any pics. So all you guys riding the ditches be real careful. The whole rebuilding process cost him over 1000 dollars and a shit load of labor.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
sucked for him. what is a culvert? A guy in our group(fucking drunk) was bar hopping and slammed a guard rail on his "new" 99 XC 700. Maybe it is a 2000 whatever he was fine but totally screwed his left front suspension bending the trailing arm and all.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sled-dog have you ever seen those tubes in the ditches for water to go though under a driveway,well the end of the tube where the water comes out is a culvert. He hit that and it flipped him off and his sled did a front flip and landed on its side. The ski caught in the tube and thats what did it. He was going 65 on the road and he got pulled into the ditch. Then a like 20 feet in front of him was a reflector, he slammed his brakes on. He said he got to about 56 mph or so and then he flipped.Ok lets get back on topic now. Shall we.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I did the same thing. Sled in to culvert at about 70. Made it across (in the air) but nailed a boulder on the other side. Sled went straight up, and I went through the windshield. My thigh bent the handlebars, and pushed the handlebar mount about 1" forward. Destroyed the front end, and bent the bulkhead. I was extremly sore, but was able to ride home - with a loud, very bent exhaust. Fixed her back up for about $1100. On the very next ride the next year slid into another culvert at about 20 mph with my wife on back. The sled stopped with the skiis pinned down (I was on the brakes) and we both flipped over the bars. I felt bad because she broke my fall (I'm 200 lbs, and she's 105 soaking wet). We both survived, and a new nosecone and grab bar later the old Polaris lives. Lesson of the story - stay out of ditches!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I was just thinking that you guys should be happy that nothing too serious happened to you.

Next stop the trails, with a whole lot of throttle in my hand

·
Registered
155 Posts
I for one, and i'm sure many others, will not stay out of ditches. i love ditch bangin. its awesome if you use your head, just stay away from the middle of crossings! thats where the culverts are.

Celebrate Your Indepence With A Rocket...Ride Polaris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts